Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Undercoating options. Thinking about U-POL Raptor Liner for the entire thing

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 11:55 AM
Supreme Member

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Car: Building LS3, T56 Z28
Engine: LS3
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: Moser/ 4.11
Undercoating options. Thinking about U-POL Raptor Liner for the entire thing

My build is getting to the point where I will be stripping the entire floor board (outside/inside, everything) and refinishing.

My plan is to strip every inch of the car down to metal, 2K epoxy prime, primer surfacer and paint/clear.

My original plan was to strip the floor, 2k epoxy prime, then 2K paint, then rubberized spray.
Then for the wheel wells, strip, 2K epoxy, U-POL bed liner.

Now I think I can get more robust results if I just do my wheel well plan for the entire under body.

Think this is a good idea? Pros, cons?

The car will be a second DD, so use it on nice days 3 seasons a year up here by Boston. Will be getting a new LS3/6 speed.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: Undercoating options. Thinking about U-POL Raptor Liner for the entire thing

Personally, the all black texture treatment on the bottom looks a bit sloppy. It seems like it'd cover up everything and potentially make future maintenance more of a pain. For example, any future welding on the body will require stripping any coating off. When a textured coating gets dirty, it's often more difficult to clean than a smooth surface, since there are more places for dirt to hide.

I'm about finished stripping the underside of my project of all undercoating and rock guard etc. I'll probably end up reapplying the factory textured rock guard in the wheel wells, but I'm leaning towards leaving the rest of the underbody in semi-gloss gray. Not too sure what that semi-gloss gray will be, but the OE E-coat seems easier to keep clean, and makes it easy to spot problems.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:21 PM
Supreme Member

Re: Undercoating options. Thinking about U-POL Raptor Liner for the entire thing

Hey Drew, you make some great points.

I think I will stick with using bed liner only in the wheel tubs. Front and back.

Under the car I think I will strip, 2K epoxy, 2K primer, 2K paint, then rubberized undercoat...

How does that sound? Car will be garage kept. Really hoping I can find a clear and reliable way to do this with no rotisserie.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s

For cars that will not see salt and snow I suggest slathering brushable seam sealer on all the seams, epoxy primer if the factory finish is gone and then an easily repairable enamel with a hardener. Like drew said, undercoating makes it difficult to do future work and also it makes the bottom of the car very, very dark. You need more light to illuminate the bottom of a dark car than a light car. With a readily available enamel touch-up is a cinch. Enamel is not as chemical resistant but hey, it's easily repaired.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:47 AM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I used 3m spray on bed liner. It lays down really nice.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:03 AM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

another pic to get a better idea of the texture. Its not as "bumpy" as other stuff ive seen out there
Old 08-24-2017, 09:15 AM
Supreme Member

First off, great looking build possi. IRS, sweet.

back to undercoating...

I only have access to the car on jack stands in my garage. This will play a factor in what direction I go and what options I have.

what did you do to prep under the 3M?
how was it applied?

cost?

I was planning on using 2k aerosol cans so i can apply it laying on my back under the car.

car will not be driven thru snow, but early spring can still have salt around.

I do plan to seam seal... everything.

just thought it had to go on after epoxy, is that correct?
Old 02-15-2018, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 90 camaro
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700R4

How far did you strip the car down for the 3M be liner material
Old 02-16-2018, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 Camaro
Engine: 5.3
Transmission: 4L80e
Axle/Gears: 3.42 10 bolt

I've been using spray on
Por-15 Por-15
over a clean surface. Haven't driven the car much but it provides nice clean protection. Probably cheaper to get the brush on kind for floor-pans though.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am pretty much in the same place. I wanna coat the underside of my car after i put sub frame connectors on and I am not sure that I wanna lay on my back with the car on jack stands using brushed on por-15. My car sat in the grass for a few years and the floor boards have some surface rust on them. No rot just a little surface rust that i wanna stop, any ideas on treating it?
Old 03-22-2018, 08:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 280 Likes on 218 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: 406 on N20 w/ EFI
Transmission: P.B. 700R4
Axle/Gears: 12 bolt w/ 3.91

I did the undercoating project back in 2010 and mine is still holding up VERY well. I used POR-15 after grinding the underside undercoating off to bare metal. also did the interior floorpans.

here is my thread with plenty of photos and a lot of writing

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/susp...ame-floor.html
edit: damn the photibucket disaster strikes again...

this page on my website has the photos:
http://www.freewebs.com/iroczman15/2010.htm

Last edited by IROCZman15; 03-22-2018 at 08:48 PM.