Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Rot advice please.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 12:05 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1986 iroc-z
Engine: 5.0 tpi
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: stock.
Rot advice please.

Hey guys I need some advice,I got a 1986 iroc that I found some rot on and I'm Worried if my car is a junk pile now.back story here is I'm in central California where I hardly ever see rust let alone rot.i bought the car 7 years ago from the original owner nice old lady who daily drove it for 24 years.her commute was 10 miles out of town to the local dairy so this car was no cherry when I got it.but the car was bought locally and lived in town all it's life,never seeing the coast or the sierras.

About four years ago the alternator gave out and my life got real with work and gf so I parked it in my dads back yard uncovered.i almost gave it up to the pick and pull but my wife knocked some sense into since its to nice of a car to give up for scrap.so I got it running and been enjoying it as a "survivor" for almost three months now.it still sits outside and we had a bit of rain a week or two ago,today after work I noticed som bubbles in the paint on passengers a pillar and check driver's side and it was worse.i poked at it with a screw driver and it went through the freaking a pillar....great....this car only rust on the bottom of the doors,deck lid,and real good rotted battery tray from when the battery exploded on previous owner.

I'm just a little confused on how this got there,and how to fix.for now I plan on enjoying the car as a survivor,slowly fixing things.hopefully in the next four years I'll have my own house and not rent anymore so I can do a full resto on this baby.

So I need advice on how and what could be a temporary fix to prevent moisture from getting in and causing rust deeper in body.and what would be the permanent fix.i was thinking of taking the welder to it an fill it in but I'm worried the heat might crack the window,so as a temporary fix just to keep water I'm think of jb weld or somthing to plug the hole.i just don't know,I've never delt with rust like this.using a donor is not an option for me because this car is all original and the only reason I got it.

What do you guys think? Thanks.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:10 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1986 iroc-z
Engine: 5.0 tpi
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: stock.
Re: Rot advice please.

Forgot pics
Rot advice please.-fyx5ipd.jpg
Rot advice please.-o5mzyuw.jpg
Old 10-04-2017, 01:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 IROC-VERT
Engine: TPI 305
Transmission: 700R4 Auto
Axle/Gears: 2.77

It can be fixed. More than likely you'll need a donor car for body parts. I'm assuming there's probably a lot more rot/rust that you haven't uncovered yet. All in all its going to be costly and it seems like you have other responsibilities which I understand. In my opinion it might be cheaper down the line to go out and find a solid car and part out this car for extra cash.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:51 AM
On Probation

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 84 Z-28
Engine: 305 HO
Transmission: r-700
Axle/Gears: 3:73

If u have rot holes in the windsheild A post its gonna be tough to fix correctly.
SURE u could bondo up the holes and paint the post.
But a fix like that won't last long.

WHY?
Because the post is hollow and filled with expando-foam from the factory
which holds moisture and rots the A post from the inside out.

A tough fix area indeed.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Car: basic third gens
Engine: that I like
Transmission: to restore
Axle/Gears: and enjoy

Originally Posted by sonjaab
If u have rot holes in the windsheild A post its gonna be tough to fix correctly.
SURE u could bondo up the holes and paint the post.
But a fix like that won't last long.

WHY?
Because the post is hollow and filled with expando-foam from the factory
which holds moisture and rots the A post from the inside out.

A tough fix area indeed.
There's no foam behind there. It's just the backside of the metal in that area often didn't get good sealer coverage and the humidity in the air alone can make it rust there over time. And for anyone that can weld and cut sheetmetal, a permanent repair is not a big deal.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:10 AM
On Probation

They ALL were foam filled from the factory.
Read this members A pillar repair:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body...de-pillar.html

One of MANY posts................
Old 10-11-2017, 09:25 AM
Supreme Member

No, they don't ALL have foam. I've repaired the rust there on these cars several times and there was not foam in there.

But it doesn't matter anyway. Foam or no foam, it's an easy repair for anyone that has any metalworking and welding ability. Once the glass is out, it's a few hour repair. It would be absolutely silly to treat this car as a parts car for that little bit of damage.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:31 AM
On Probation

Just READ the MANY post for the CORRECT answer..............
Old 10-11-2017, 02:44 PM
Supreme Member

Listen guy, I'm not an idiot. I think I know if there's foam there or not when I cut metal out of a car. Just because you can read posts doesn't mean you know that all of these cars had foam in there. But like I said, it doesn't matter anyway, it's not a hard repair. I'm done with this childish argument.

To the OP, sorry about clutter in your thread. But I do hope you decide this car is worth the repair.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:33 PM
On Probation

No need to get your panties in a wad if you don't wanna READ!
No name callin' intended.

Have a good day....................
Old 10-11-2017, 07:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: Dynamic Racing Reverse Manual 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 3.45

based off the pics on the thread that was linked, I don't see those foam blocks causing any real big issue. more so just a slight inconvenience with it being a fire hazard when cutting or welding.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: 5.7 Vortec w/ factory TPI
Transmission: WC T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 Posi

Honestly it comes down to how much work you really want to do and your ability to do the work right if you choose to fix the rust. I have owned a bunch of f-bodies over the years and i am not afraid to put a project on hold due to these kinds of issues.

My '86 iroc was exactly what I wanted and had a lot going for it, but when I tore into it to freshen up the interior I found that the PO had covered up a ton of rust in the rear passenger wheel wells and spare tire area. I put the car on hold and got some estimates on the rust repair and found the the cost to be too much for my blood.

I let that car sit for two years and ended up finding my current '87 iroc. I took all the good from both cars and stuffed it into the '87 and sold the '86 to offset my build. The guy that bought the '86 knew exactly what he was buying and it worked out well for both parties.