Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

How do I place a hold on a title?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I place a hold on a title?

My ex took my vehicle and stole the original title. I obtained a duplicate title from CA. He took my vehicle to GA and refuses to give it back. The police will not get involved because we were in a relationship. I sued him in small claims but it was dismissed because he challenged jurisdiction of the court. He keeps it in his garage and considering the distance I am unable to catch him driving it. I contacted DMV in GA and Texas where he has his license and notified them that the title he has is not valid but I'm unsure as to what he can try and do to manipulate the system. I was told I could put a hold on the title to keep him from changing ownership. Does anyone know what I can do to insure the title he has is invalid and/or suggestions as to how I can retrieve my vehicle. I registered it non op but still have to pay the insurance on it and his recent ticket increased my insurance $40 per month. I can't take his name off the insurance because if he wrecks it I'm liable for the damages because he has possession and I had put him on my insurance when we were together. Any help is most appreciated.
Old 12-22-2017, 07:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 661 Likes on 471 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Re: How do I place a hold on a title?

Originally Posted by randomx123
My ex took my vehicle and stole the original title. I obtained a duplicate title from CA. He took my vehicle to GA and refuses to give it back. The police will not get involved because we were in a relationship. I sued him in small claims but it was dismissed because he challenged jurisdiction of the court. He keeps it in his garage and considering the distance I am unable to catch him driving it. I contacted DMV in GA and Texas where he has his license and notified them that the title he has is not valid but I'm unsure as to what he can try and do to manipulate the system. I was told I could put a hold on the title to keep him from changing ownership. Does anyone know what I can do to insure the title he has is invalid and/or suggestions as to how I can retrieve my vehicle. I registered it non op but still have to pay the insurance on it and his recent ticket increased my insurance $40 per month. I can't take his name off the insurance because if he wrecks it I'm liable for the damages because he has possession and I had put him on my insurance when we were together. Any help is most appreciated.
Whether or not this involves a GM 3rd generation F body car , you don't need an automotive technical chat board devoted exclusively to GM 3rd generation F body cars , like this board is , instead what you need is a good LAWYER , and it sounds as if some relationship counseling wouldn't hurt either .

Good Luck ......
Old 12-22-2017, 07:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 751 Likes on 577 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: L03
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 2.73 Open

Lawyer was my thought too. Probably not what you wanted to hear (expense), but with a missing car, duplicate titles, a spoiled relationship, and multiple states involved, as well as the insurance issue, you need legal help IMO.
Old 12-23-2017, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by DynoDave43
Lawyer was my thought too. Probably not what you wanted to hear (expense), but with a missing car, duplicate titles, a spoiled relationship, and multiple states involved, as well as the insurance issue, you need legal help IMO.
My apologies. I don't know how I ended up posting on this site instead of the one I was originally looking at first. But apparently I did and even set up an account.
Again, my sincere apologies and although it was the wrong site I do agree with the replies. Unfortunately I've gone down that avenue and you can spend more money on an attorney than the vehicles worth. But it's the principle. Plus I love my little Samurai Suzuki.
Old 12-23-2017, 03:30 AM

My apologies. I don't know how I ended up posting on this site instead of the one I was originally looking at first. But apparently I did and even set up an account.
Again, my sincere apologies and although it was the wrong site I do agree with the replies. Unfortunately I've gone down that avenue and you can spend more money on an attorney than the vehicles worth. But it's the principle. Plus I love my little Samurai Suzuki.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:16 AM
Supreme Member

Location: *member since 1999, I think - just can't remember my old name, and the big site crash...*
Received 151 Likes on 105 Posts
Car: 89 GTA ASC Conv., Prev: 89 GTA 6.3L
Engine: 5.7L L98 TPI
Transmission: 700r4 Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.27:1 w/ JG1 Options:B2L, N10, U1A

Here's listings for sale:

https://m.autotrader.com/cars-for-sa...ear=1981&Log=0

You can buy another for less than lawyer fees, etc. let the old one go, moving on...