Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Painted engine bays vs upper strut mount area when doing an alignment...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 01:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1988 Camaro(92 Z28 clone)
Engine: Forged 383, AFR 195 419/430@wheels
Transmission: Monster 700R4 Yank 3600 stall
Axle/Gears: 9in Detroit locker-3.90's,35 spline
Painted engine bays vs upper strut mount area when doing an alignment...

Hey everyone, long time no see! It's been a while since I have posted. Real life kinda got in the way for a bit (bought a house, got married, etc) so the Camaro project had been on a hold. I am at a point where I can start thinking about continuing to work on the old girl which basically means tearing the old car apart, taking all the parts off of it that I can, transferring it to another Camaro that has a straight body, and then modifying the engine for forced induction.

Now that I got that out of the way...

I would like to have a painted engine bay which will be the same color as the car...a Lexus color, U81 Ultrasonic Blue Mica. Anyways, I worry about painting the area of the strut tower tops. I would really hate to go through all the cost of having a pristine engine bay, only to have that paint get scratched to all get out the first time I go to adjust the camber using my Spohn spherical upper mounts. Does anyone know of a fix or workaround for this? Maybe I just need to paint the strut tops a separate color, like a flat black, then just use touch up paint when I scratch it during the alignment?
Old 02-19-2018, 02:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: Painted engine bays vs upper strut mount area when doing an alignment...

The OE paint doesn't seem to have a problem, and in most cases the engine bay wasn't even clear coated very well. Assuming the person doing the alignment isn't a complete bonehead, it should be a non-issue.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:46 PM

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Re: Painted engine bays vs upper strut mount area when doing an alignment...

When I painted my bay I pulled the strut mounts. Replaced them with new mounts after paint and I put a strip of masking tape on the outside edges on the underside of them. Will it stop scratching? Prob not completely but maybe it will help.