Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Door Window Regulator Rollers

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 06:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Transam, 85
Engine: 305 HO, 4bbl Carb, G Engine
Transmission: 5 Speed
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Door Window Regulator Rollers

Out of 3 plastic rollers, one is loose and rolls, other two are tight and do not roll easily with finger. Do they rolls freely, or more like glides in the track?
Old 03-02-2018, 07:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: Door Window Regulator Rollers

I would say they only roll when they need to. Make sure they're clean, lubed, uncracked, and call it good.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:13 PM

My regulator was out, and after good cleaning all 4 nylon wheels rolls very freely while out. Any one say they don't, is wrong. Yes, they may not roll while in the track depending on how gunk/greased up.

I thought my window motor was bad, but actually the nylon rollers itself, and tracks were all gunk up that motor was having difficulties. This is not to say that motor may not go bad, it sure can, but before changing motors you need to take out glass, regulator and tracks and clean them really well, then try with existing motor. If it is still slow then change the motor.

I do know that there are some square nylon ones those of course will not rotate, and I get it, but round ones third gen has do rotate very freely.

You may clean all without removing them and may get result too, but if you really wants like new, then you have to take all out.

I used oven cleaner 3 times and each time I rinsed with boiling hot water and then all greases were completely gone, and rollers became smooth
Old 03-04-2018, 08:41 PM
Supreme Member

When you've got nylon against steel, whichever surface has more friction is going to move. The thirdgen regulators I have laying around generally have more tension between the roller and it's spindle than they do against the tracks.
Hence they only roll when the friction between the roller and track exceeds the friction between the roller and spindle.

In theory they roll. In practice they will slide if the tracks are lubed.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:33 PM

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Greasing Door Glass Mechanism:

1. Battery is fully powered and has plenty of juice. If engine needs to be off, then use battery charger and put charger in ‘Start’ settings to get plenty of juice.

2. Paint thinner is like acid, use a small paint brush and some paint thinner and brush the tracks then wipe off the old grease. Yes, you can use paint thinner on nylon wheels to grease off.

3. Teeth, and metal part next to teeth, or anywhere there are no plastics yet has metal friction, use petroleum based moly grease.

4. Any where there is plastics, like nylon wheels, use synthetic. Petroleum based grease is not recommended any plastic, nylons or rubber like materials.

5. Tracks, where you have nylon wheel roll’s, use synthetic grease and good for nylons wheels. However; just because it is synthetic doesn't mean all synthetic are good. Some synthetic are added with additives not good for plastics. So check the additives too.

6. Hinges like anything pivot that rotates, like door hinges, (not slide part rather the rotate parts), simply moly greasing will not do. Rather use heavy synthetic oil, like gear oils (not engine oils) to squirt. Put oil in regulator scissor pivot.

7. Car door glasses which slides inside the felt of two sides use Silicon grease in those plastic felts. Thirdgen door glasses doesn’t have any two sides, yet and as example Taurus, Accent has it. Use Q tips to put silicon grease inside the felt. You do not need this grease for thirdgen.

8. Do not use silicon as it dries out quick. 'White Lithium' may be used but depending on additives it may have it may not be suitable, and some say it may hardens quick too.

9. Summary: Metal slide friction – moly based petroleum and no need high temperature one for window metal stuff, regular one will do. Plastic to plastic, or plastic to metal-synthetic grease and no petroleum grease. Metal hinges that rotates-heavy synthetic oil. Yes, to have a proper lubricant of your door glass, you need 3 different types of products, two grease one oil. Prior to applying, clean all (As much you can) with paint thinner.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am opting for 'Super Lube Multipurpose Grease" for tracks. It is made by 'Super Lube' based in VA. It is translucent white. I am not going with 'White Lithium'.

Last edited by Sonny_T; 03-05-2018 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:43 PM

Drew,

Agreed, but doing a window regulator of a 30+ years car, I was not sure what to make of nylon wheel rolling mechanism. My regulator was out of the door and I thought they may have been meant not to roll unless heavy friction is applied. Although it did not make sense but I was ready to accept as is and only to find out it does roll freely. Weather it roll's inside the track, or not, is Physics, but if one is cleaning it out of the door, then it should be cleaned completely where it rolls freely, and hope that you do not need to visit it sooner.

Last edited by Sonny_T; 03-04-2018 at 09:47 PM.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:10 PM
Supreme Member

Agreed. The OE lube on the tracks of my project car has turned to concrete. It can be chiseled off with a flat blade in some spots. I've got most of the driver's door guts cleaned, and ready to reassemble. Not looking forward to doing the passenger's door, but eventually I'll get around to it.