Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Looking for green panels!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 01:02 PM

Received 147 Likes on 106 Posts
Car: 1991 GTA T-Top / 2014 Mustang GT
Engine: 5L TPI
Transmission: WCT5
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Looking for green panels!

Hey guys, looking for some replacement panels for my car and if I can save on painting them all then that would be perfect. My car's a 91 gta that's dark green metallic and I'm looking for 2 doors, a driver side fender, and mayyyybe a hood. I'm in Canada and I've never even heard of another green firebird in my province, nevermind one in a junkyard. If you're lucky enough to even find a third gen in an Ontario yard, they're long past the point of stripped.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 Firebird
Engine: 305 SBC
Transmission: 700 R4 TCI
Re: Looking for green panels!

I saw one once a long time ago. LOL I think you are going to have to take what you can get and repaint.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:59 PM

Received 147 Likes on 106 Posts
Car: 1991 GTA T-Top / 2014 Mustang GT
Engine: 5L TPI
Transmission: WCT5

In Ontario??? And I don't want to pay to repaint the fender when I plan on repainting the car this winter anyways
Old 06-19-2018, 02:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

This one time... A buddy of mine picked up a late 90's Monte Carlo cheap, had a smashed door. So we were talking about how slick it'd be to just pick up a door in the right color and toss it on there, and turn the car for a profit. Within a few days we just happened to be at a junkyard and spotted another Maroon Monte Carlo with good doors. Had the yard pull em, picked up the next day, set the door up next to the car.... WRONG shade of Maroon. Took em back to the yard. A week later, at another junkyard, another Maroon Monte Carlo... Wrong Maroon again.

Another time... A buddy had a 90-something 2000-and whatever Cavalier. Nice car, smashed front end. No problem, we got another front clip. So the car goes together, girl wants to buy the car, talks my buddy into painting the front clip to match the car. Gets the paint, preps the car, paints the replacement panels. Weird how the front clip is about 3 shades darker than the rest of the car. Come to find out there were three different shades of Gold and Bronze that year. Oops.

The moral of the stories is that even if you find a car in the exact right color, the chances that it was painted with the same toner lots, or same equipment, or sat in the same amount of daylight over 30 years, etc are slim and none. You can almost bet that whatever you find won't be an exact match. You'll be painting either way. Make the search easier on yourself, and just try to find panels that are correct and don't worry about the color. Chances are they'll have already been repainted anyway what with paint delam issues of the time, age, etc.