Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

T-Top Body Rust or Factory Hole?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
T-Top Body Rust or Factory Hole?

I've attached photos of the passenger and drivers side ttop area, where the weatherstip goes from the top of the car, around to the side.

The passenger side has a pretty good sized hole in the body, right next to the weatherstip rail. Water will find its way in there for sure.There is some rust on the rail itself, which made me think the hole was due to rust. But the drivers side appears to have a similar feature. The picture is hard to see the detail, but there is a white chalky substance in there that seems like its filling in a hole in the body as well (the shape isn't quite the same, but is in the same position)

So I wonder if the "hole" a factory feature? If so, did they fill it with something like seam-sealer? If not, then what is the best way to close it up? I was thinking about having a welder come by and fix it. But if seam-sealer is the approved method, I'd just assume go that route because it's easier for me. Another option, fill it with epoxy?

Any ideas?

thanks

gene
Attached Thumbnails T-Top Body Rust or Factory Hole?-ttop_left_side.jpg   T-Top Body Rust or Factory Hole?-ttop_right_side.jpg  
Old 08-19-2018, 06:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: T-Top Body Rust or Factory Hole?

That area is right where the top of the 1/4 panels meet with the roof skin. There's a seam there where the panels are welded and filled. Most likely you've got a few things going on, one is body flex has opened the joint, and created cracks. The other is that the sealer probably dried out and has cracked away. There's also the potential that GM didn't finish the area very well that would covered by the weatherstrip and adhesive.

I'd clean it up, evaluate if the sheet metal needs to be welded, seal any seems, and then lay down the weatherstrip with fresh adhesive.