Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Fender body line

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 10:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 84 Z28
Engine: 383 Stroker
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Fender body line

Hey all, been awhile sense I've posted anything. Been busy w life and working on the body of my 84z. So body and doors and fenders have all been blocked out, body lines crisp and straight. I go to mount the pass fender,(everything is still in primer) and notice the body line on the fender takes a dive towards the tire. I'm thinking wth. Here I put many many hours into getting them straight and this happens... hmm. So I grab a oe used fender that is in good shape and toss it on. The initial fender is a repop by the way. The oe fender fits way way better but the main body line does the same thing. Not as bad but it dips down. So I start researching it and not finding anything. I start to look at side pics of nice cars and wouldn't you know, from what I can tell many of them have this taper. Here are my pics and some other pics.
Please chime in.
Thanks
Dan

Sad as i have 30 plus hours into this one fender...

Please tell me this is normal

Dip to my do da darling

Another dipper

A slight dipper
Old 05-30-2019, 11:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 89 Trans am
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Re: Fender body line

I don't think it looks that bad. Its the kind of thing that 99% of people won't notice, but if it bugs you now then it will always bug you. I did a complete on an Alero many years back. I got sick of doing the bodywork and I let a few very minor things slide and painted it anyway. After it was done and I was daily driving it, I couldn't appreciate how nice of a car it was because all I could see were the tiny imperfections I knew about but didn't fix. When I did a complete on my Trans am I had learned not to let anything slide and I'm glad I didn't. Its not absolutely perfect but I gave it my absolute best.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:58 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by ZsTransAm
I don't think it looks that bad. Its the kind of thing that 99% of people won't notice, but if it bugs you now then it will always bug you. I did a complete on an Alero many years back. I got sick of doing the bodywork and I let a few very minor things slide and painted it anyway. After it was done and I was daily driving it, I couldn't appreciate how nice of a car it was because all I could see were the tiny imperfections I knew about but didn't fix. When I did a complete on my Trans am I had learned not to let anything slide and I'm glad I didn't. Its not absolutely perfect but I gave it my absolute best.
Thanks for the reply. I am setting the bar high as I know there will be some problems along the way yet it will still look damn good when I'm done. However I still dont understand this body line deal. Surprised that no one else has chimed in. I could post many more pics of Camaros with the same/similar issue and some wo. Someone's gotta know something. I fitted my drivers fender today and it is also a genuine fender and it too has the same slope.

Anyone????

Dan
Old 06-02-2019, 02:33 AM
Supreme Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Car: 82 TA 87 IZ L98 88 IZ LB9 88 IZ L98
Engine: 5.7TBI 5,7TPI 5.0TPI, 5,7TPI
Transmission: T5, 700R4, T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08, 3.27, 3.45, 3.27

I got mine as good as it would get. I shimned the bottom after first straightening the pinch area that's always crumpled from jacking. I put a little bow into the fender so it's a wee bit outside the door. This way the gaps can be smaller without the door hitting the fender. Also I put nee custom machined pins in the doors and blocked the door and sides as 1. Theres just a smidge if filler (this diir was driven into) I also removed the ugly step in the rear fender lip where the 2 panels intersect.
Attached Thumbnails Fender body line-20170326_122936.jpg  
Old 06-02-2019, 12:40 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo
I got mine as good as it would get. I shimned the bottom after first straightening the pinch area that's always crumpled from jacking. I put a little bow into the fender so it's a wee bit outside the door. This way the gaps can be smaller without the door hitting the fender. Also I put nee custom machined pins in the doors and blocked the door and sides as 1. Theres just a smidge if filler (this diir was driven into) I also removed the ugly step in the rear fender lip where the 2 panels intersect.
Hot damn I love that red/look. It's close to the red that I'm after. Nice n deep with just a hue of orange. I am spraying ppg dbc spectra red that's been tinted a tad. Clear is ppg 2021. Plan on doing 3 maybe 4 clear coats so when I buff I dont have to worry about burning through.
Back to the post, so it is a somewhat common thing then eh? I've also noticed the fender flares are not the same from front to back. Heard its cause gm had issues with the rear quarters shifting during stamping process?
Thanks for the reply. Makes me feel better as I really would like my car to look good and be proud to say I did that.

Dan
Old 06-02-2019, 12:44 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo
Had to look and comment on your car again. Damn that's a beautiful car.
Have to do a search here see and see more about it.

Dan