Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Louver help??

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2022, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission: Auto
Louver help??

Finally found some oem aluminum window louvers that are close to me for sale. I have a 91 RS the ones I'm looking at are on a 92 model. They should fit correct? I've never seen them in person. What do I need to look for when I go check them out. Also what do the brackets look like and how many should come with it. Also can they be refinished If they are dull. Last question is it possible for them to mess up/ scratch the back glass ? Thanks
Old 04-09-2022, 11:33 AM
Supreme Member

Received 426 Likes on 257 Posts
Car: 92 Heritage Camaro Z28
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: auto
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Limited Slip
Re: Louver help??

91 and 92 are the same. Not sure on # of brackets.

Anything can be refinished in today's world.
Old 04-09-2022, 11:46 AM

Received 348 Likes on 275 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73

First and foremost, are these OEM/GM Louvers we're talking about? ...and is that what you're after? I'm assuming so....You'll know by the radius edge at the end of each louver panel.
-Assuming GM, 91 and 92 model Louvers are the same, They BOTH have the cut out so you can see the brake light.
-The main thing I'd look for are obvious physical damage first of all, and second, are the middle horizontal pieces straight? I attached a pic of mine and you can see they are NOT straight. Some have some minor bends. ....still trying to figure out the best way to fix them.
-As for hardware....get as much as the seller has. After that, you can purchase 3D printed hardware if you need to. I got some hardware with mine, but not all. Had to buy the printed pieces from a member. I haven't installed all of mine yet, but here's what I believe you need. Along the top, you have the hinges on the louvers, then brackets that clip to the glass. Along each side you have 2 (4 total) dzus fasterners in the louvers, and the requisite brackets that mount to the glass, and then along the backside you have 2 (2 total) more dzus fasteners with different brackets that stick to the glass. In total, 8 mounting points. The 2 hinges up top, and the 6 other points that clip/lock when the louvers are down and in place.
-yes, you can refinish/paint/restore them as with any other type of body panel.
-Unlikely that they'll scratch the glass. You could CRACK the glass if you drop 'em or something, but scratches are unlikely.

The following users liked this post:
M G Brewer (04-09-2022)
Old 04-09-2022, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission: Auto

Went and picked them up today. They ended up being in overall good shape but will need to be refinished. They were also cragar instead of oem Factory. Which is fine by me. For a great deal that I couldn't pass up. They actually had the top brackets but the sides were partly there. They were broken off. So I'll have to figure out how to secure them but I thi k I can make it work. I wonder does the person that 3-d prints them have brackets for the cragar version?