Brakes Looking to upgrade or get the most out of what you have stock? All brake discussions go here!

Master Cylinder up grade

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 01:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 92 RS
Engine: 94 LT1 383
Transmission: T56-6 Speed
Axle/Gears: posi, 3.26:1,
Master Cylinder up grade

I'm currently running a stock master cylinder (disc/drum), I have did my own big brake up grade, with 12.75" C4 HD rotors and LS1 calipers front and LS1 disc's out back, this thing will STOP, and if not wereing your seat belt I can slide the passenger out of the seat, and this is with the disc/drum proportioning valve. I was considering diching the master cylinder and vacum boster for a pare of Wilwood 260-3380 master cylinders with 1 1/8" bore, one for the front and one for the rear. I could addjust byist with a T off the peadal. This would be a weight savings, and space, but would it at least give me the same braking or better breaking performance?
Old 09-16-2010, 06:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Master Cylinder up grade

Why would the Wildwood master cylinder give you better breaking ability? Is the master cylinder you are using right now not pushing enough brake fluid into the lines? It sure sounds like it if you can make the passangers hit their head on the windsheild during a hard stop.

Just adding a large diameter bore MC won't give you very much additional stopping power, unless you change the size of the brakelines going to the calipers too. The brakelines will allow only so much fluid to be pressurized in them according to their inside diameter size.

The weak part of the stock F bodies brake system is the vacuum power booster. It has always been junk, IMO with too many variables that can effect it. The real deal brake system GM uses is the Hydroboost setup that comes on 3/4 ton and up HD vechicles. It uses PS fluid for the power assist for the brakes and is 10X better then the vacuum setup. With the brake setup you now have in your car by adding the Hydroboost setup your passengers will need a helmet to ride shotgun in your car.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 92 RS
Engine: 94 LT1 383
Transmission: T56-6 Speed
Axle/Gears: posi, 3.26:1,

maybe I should have called this weight loss.
I am looking to clean up things under the hood, I don't like the way the vacuum booster looks, big and bulky. so why would I want to add the hydro booster? it is about the same size, has hoses that run to the front of the engine, and it more than likely weighs more.
so will these MC's give me at least what I have now? what kind of pedal pressure?
Old 09-17-2010, 11:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyDoc
maybe I should have called this weight loss.
I am looking to clean up things under the hood, I don't like the way the vacuum booster looks, big and bulky. so why would I want to add the hydro booster? it is about the same size, has hoses that run to the front of the engine, and it more than likely weighs more.
so will these MC's give me at least what I have now? what kind of pedal pressure?
Unless you are running around Watkins Glen or the straightaways @ Daytona weight savings is an elusive guy. Are you running a track car? If not the weight savings/power gains between a aftermarket MC and stock unit will be very hard to feel/see on a street car.

The hydroboost system does have lines that will run up to the PS pump. The reason for adding the hydroboost, it will give you a better "feel" in the brake pedal and help you stop slightly faster. It is lighter then the vacuum power booster and takes up less room. The C3 Corvette guys have been doing this conversion for years now. There is even an aftermarket company that sells a complete bolt on kit for the hydroboost unit to fit into GM cars.