Brakes Looking to upgrade or get the most out of what you have stock? All brake discussions go here!

New brake issue? new MC bad? gah!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 10:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New brake issue? new MC bad? gah!!

So for the first time in over a year, I actually drove the bird around yesterday (to address other issues), and despite quite a bit of brake system work, the braking on this car seems equally bad, or worse than before! The following items have been replaced..

Rotors and Drums (All)
Pads and shoes (All)
Calipers and Wheel cylinders
Brake hoses
Drum hardware
Master cylinder

Granted, I wasn't quite used to the car for not driving it so long, but based on what I remember, the brake pedal rests somewhat higher than before. It's pretty soft to press for several inches, and has to be pretty much floored for the car to actually make stopping effort. Also, the brake light is always on, even w/the e-brake off, and fluid level ok. The M/C was bench bled, as well as the whole system.

Is the disc/drum setup just woefully inadequate at stopping these cars or is there a new issue here? I don't feel comfortable trying to drive the car at freeway speeds until I have answers.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:51 AM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's
Re: New brake issue? new MC bad? gah!!

Originally Posted by Flightoficarus
It's pretty soft to press for several inches, and has to be pretty much floored for the car to actually make stopping effort.

Also, the brake light is always on, even w/the e-brake off, and fluid level ok.

Is the disc/drum setup just woefully inadequate at stopping these cars or is there a new issue here?
Could easily be air in the lines. Members have reported having to bleed multiple times to eliminate it completely.

From the manual:

"The pressure differential warning switch is designed to constantly compare front and rear brake pressure from the master cylinder and energize the warning light on the dash in the event of a front or rear system failure. The valve and switch are so designed that the switch will latch in the "warning" position once a failure has occurred. The only way the light can be turned off is to repair the failure and apply a pedal force to develop approximately 450 psi line pressure."

Because of issues associated with the Delco-Moraine rear disc system, there are those who prefer drums.

JamesC