Brakes Looking to upgrade or get the most out of what you have stock? All brake discussions go here!

Brake Overhaul Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 07:48 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Car: '91 Camaro Z28
Engine: L31 5.7
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, 3.73
Brake Overhaul Questions

First of all, long time reader of the forums but this is my first time posting. I actually tried to make a post last night, but it doesn't seem to have gone through... oops?

Anyway, I'm working on a four wheel disc conversion/upgrade for my 91 Z28, and I was hoping to get some help with a few questions I had. First of all, I'm replacing the rear drum brakes with this kit from Summit, and I purchased some LS1 spindles from Big Brake Upgrade for the front conversion. I was going to run stock LS1 calipers and solid rotors up front, but I was curious if anyone has suggestions that might provide a performance and/or weight benefit on the front end (preferably something you've used in your own car). Second, I've read some threads on the forums regarding a spring replacement in the proportioning valve and was curious if anyone with a similar brake setup to what I'm using has a lbs/in recommendation. It looks like a few people with similar setups have used the 30.82 lbs/in spring but I would appreciate any feedback.

On a less brake-related note, I figure while I have the rear end out I may as well look into fixing some of the other problems that I have (cracked filler neck on the fuel tank, worn out rubber bushings, axle seals and bearings, etc). Does anyone have some suggestions for work that I might as well do while I'm pulling the back end apart? Would it be worthwhile to replace the fuel pump and/or swap the LCAs and panhard bar with lighter aftermarket parts? I'm not interested in doing anything too elaborate, but bolt in stuff that provides a good benefit for the $$ is always an option. If I should post these questions somewhere else I apologize, let me know if I've screwed up.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-21-2015, 07:03 AM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's
Re: Brake Overhaul Questions

Hey, BovineZro,

Welcome to TGO. You'll find that asking particular questions in their appropriate forums will generate better/quicker responses.

Best of luck with your project,

JamesC
Old 11-21-2015, 09:25 AM
naf
Supreme Member

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Car: 1987 SC/1985 TA
Engine: 350/vortec/fitech
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9-bolt

In my experience, replacing the lower control arms on the rear end is a good idea. I've used the Lakewood arms. The stock panhard bar is adequate IMO for most use, but can easily be replaced later if you so decide.

Shocks while you're there if yours are of unknown age/origin.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:05 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Car: '91 Camaro Z28
Engine: L31 5.7
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, 3.73

JamesC,

Thank you for the welcome. I apologize for cluttering up the forum by lumping everything into one question: I'll break up my questions into individual posts in the correct forums.

naf,

Thanks for the suggestions, I hadn't considered replacing the shocks as they're only about a year old, but I don't know anything about them. I'll look into the Lakewood control arms.

For anyone else, I guess I'll simplify my first post into two questions: Any suggestions for LS1-replacement calipers and rotors that I might use for the front end? And has anyone with a similar setup tried swapping the spring in their proportioning valve (and if so, what spring did you use)?

Thanks again,