Brakes Looking to upgrade or get the most out of what you have stock? All brake discussions go here!

89 rear disc's not stopping after changing pads.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 05:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 GTA, 84 T/A
Engine: L98 stock, Carbed 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.27
89 rear disc's not stopping after changing pads.

I have an 89 with the aluminum caliper rear disc brakes, the brakes were working fine, but the pads were shot.

The calipers are in good shape and the guide bolts seems nice and free.

I changed the pads but now the drivers side barely stops and the passenger side doesn't stop at all, the brake pedal feels good.

Is there an adjustment I need to do or did I just do a crappy job bleeding them?

I found this information here, and I did not do step 13, would that cause the problem?

1989-92

1. Remove 2/3 of the brake fluid from the master cylinder reservoir.
2. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
3. Remove the wheel and tire assembly. Install 2 wheel nets to retain the rotor.
4. Position a C-clamp and tighten until the piston bottoms in the base of the caliper housing. Make sure 1 end of the C-clamp rests on the inlet fitting bolt and the other against the outboard disc brake pad.

It is not necessary to remove the parking brake caliper lever return spring to replace the disc brake pads.

5. Remove the upper caliper guide pin bolt and discard.
6. Rotate the caliper housing. Be careful not to strain the hose or cable conduit.
7. Remove the disc brake pads.

To Install

8. Clean all residue from the pad guide surfaces on the mounting bracket and caliper housing. Inspect the guide pins for free movement in the mounting bracket. Replace the guide pins or boots, if they are corroded or damaged.
9. Install the disc brake pads. The outboard pad with insulator is installed toward the caliper housing. The inboard pad with the wear sensor is installed nearest the caliper piston. The wear sensor must be in the trailing position with forward wheel rotation.
10. Rotate the caliper housing into its operating position. The springs on the outboard brake pad must not stick through the inspection hole in the caliper housing. If the springs are sticking through the inspection hole in the caliper housing, lift the caliper housing and make the necessary corrections to the outboard brake pad positions.
11. Install a new upper caliper guide pin bolt and tighten to 26 ft. lbs. Tighten the lower caliper guide pin bolt to 16 ft. lbs.
12. With the engine running, pump the brake pedal slowly and firmly to seat the brake pads.
13. Check the caliper parking brake levers to make sure they are against the stops on the caliper housing. If the levers are not on their stops, check the parking brake adjustment.
14. Remove the 2 wheel nuts from the rotor and install the wheel and tire assembly.
15. Lower the vehicle, check the master cylinder fluid level and road test the vehicle.

JamesC