Brakes Looking to upgrade or get the most out of what you have stock? All brake discussions go here!

Parking Brake Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parking Brake Help

I have a 1992 camaro that was an original drum rear end. I recently changed the brakes to the 1LE/PBR style. The parking brake will not hold the vehicle when in gear. When the car is off the ground and in gear the wheels do not turn. The cable is very tight and the parking brake handle goes about half way up and is very firm. Any suggestions on what to do, the car wont pass inspection due to this

Thanks
Old 06-21-2017, 05:42 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Z28 Convertible
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 with Eaton posi
Re: Parking Brake Help

Ha! I was just about to post something similar in a new thread. I have a 1991 Z28 and did the drum to pbr disc conversion. E-brake does not work while on the road. I have not tried to use it with tires off the ground. I, too, cannot pass inspection.

Havent looked into to it too furiously as this is not a daily driver. I do see on the Hawks website- who sells the pbr conversion there are two different lengths of e-brake cables. There is a shorter one for 1990 PBR brakes (1434mm) vs longer length for 91-92 (1460mm). A 26mm difference- about 1 inch.

I dont know why there is a difference. But perhaps, you as well as I, have a 1990 version. It has been a few years since I had mine installed and honestly dont remember which company I purchased from.

Maybe we need to get with Hawks and find out if this is the cause, then why, and then see if problem is resolved with shorter e-brake cable.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:47 PM
RMK

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 87 IROC
Engine: modded LB9
Transmission: Pro Built 700R4

Did either of you guys get a solution for this? I've got the same issue and need to get it fixed. Was thinking of adding a hydraulic solution but it's more work than I have time for at the moment.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:56 PM

Car: 1991 Firebird Formula
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

I've also got this problem with the PBR brakes. Won't even hold on a slight incline most of the time, and the parking brake lever is often pretty hard to pull (maybe from compressing those huge springs in the PBR brake setup?). I'm planning on attempting the "free-travel" adjustment with the small screw to see if it changes anything.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by someone972
I'm planning on attempting the "free-travel" adjustment with the small screw to see if it changes anything.
^^^This^^^ first.

Second thing I'd look at is the parking brake lever. Most PBR cars also have the self adjusting E-brake lever. The way it works is there's a ratcheting mechanism and a spring. When the lever is released, and swung down (e-brake off) a cam unlocks the ratchet, which lets the spring pull the cable snug. As the lever is pulled, the cam locks the ratchet in place after the first click or two, and the lever pulls the cable.

If the spring is unhooked, it won't work. If the spring is broken, stretched, or whatever, it won't work. If you YANK the E-brake from the down position to the up position, the ratchet won't lock, and the lever won't pull the cable.

Also, if you don't have the e-brake cables routed up over the guides in the transmission tunnel, you can pull the lever until the cows come home and the cables will never get tight. I'd imagine not having the S hooks supporting the cables would be equally bad.
Old 11-30-2017, 01:21 PM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

Good info on adjusting the free travel here:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/brak...hlight=incline

RBob.