Brakes Looking to upgrade or get the most out of what you have stock? All brake discussions go here!

Brakes compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 01:37 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 91 Z28 - using 87 electricals
Engine: 383 HSR EBL
Transmission: 700R4 - Stage 3 Fixed Pressure
Axle/Gears: GM 3.08 POSI
Brakes compatibility

Hi All,

I just bought an 88 Iroc body and plan to swap my drive train into it. However the body I bought has been modified and is no longer stock. Seems the previous owners were racing it.

I've been told that it has a GMC 3.73 Locking Posi differential. I cannot confirm these facts just yet, but I can confirm that the axle is not a stock axle as the drums practically fill the rims.

My current Iroc, now a donor car has the J65 rear Disc with the G92 3.23 Limited Slip.

I would like to keep my rear disc.

Is it possible to swap my brake package to this non-stock axle? I seem to remember that the brake brackets for the J65 are just held on with 4 bolts. Is it as simple as unbolt, and bolt onto the other axle?

Any help with this would be appreciated.
Old 11-25-2017, 07:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: Brakes compatibility

Probably not, unless you want to change the entire axle assembly. Chances are above average that if the axles are different, the brakes aren't going to just bolt up.

Figure out what rear axle is actually in the car, and go from there. Number of bolts on the cover, does it use the stock style torque arm? Are your discs the iron caliper garbage GM used before 1989?
Old 11-26-2017, 11:50 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 91 Z28 - using 87 electricals
Engine: 383 HSR EBL
Transmission: 700R4 - Stage 3 Fixed Pressure
Axle/Gears: GM 3.08 POSI

Looks like it is a 10 Bolt. It does use the stock Torque Arm, however they added an adapter plate to the end that mounts to the transmission. Looks like they put a non-stock trans in at one point.

It does have Drums and maybe I don't remember the drum size of a stock Camaro as well as I thought, but they look to be about 10-12 inch diameter.

Without better access I can't get any casting numbers from it to truly determine what axle it is.

Worst case I'll just throw my 3.23 axle with the J65 Cast Iron disc brakes in it.

Until I get it on a lift I do not think I can gleam much more information from just looking at the axle.

Thanks
Old 11-26-2017, 04:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Camaro
Engine: 3.1...not hardly stock
Transmission: 700r4....not stock either
Axle/Gears: 3.73

What size wheels does it have? My drums mostly filled the inside of my stock 15" wheels. Did irocs come with drums? Factory, the torque arm did mount to the tail shaft of the transmission