Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

sound system for the IROC

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sound system for the IROC

Hey guys, looking to get some advice. I want to upgrade the stock radio/speaker set-up in the IROC ('88 with base-ERS model radio and speakers, HU was replaced at some point with newer cassette deck), and was hoping to get some advice on brand, price, where to buy etc. I'm not looking to go overboard with amps and subs, because I don't really have the room or weight to spare. I'd just like to get a nice-looking, simple, powerful head-unit, there is a Kenwood cassette deck in there now, and I was considering either a Kenwood or Alpine CD player. Looking to spend between 200-300 on the the HU. I also want to upgrade the 4 speakers (which are stock). I'm not looking to blow $1000 on speakers, but would be willing to pay a couple hundred for quality pieces. I am more interested in a system that will sound excellent vs. pure loudness. Lastly, where are good places to buy in terms of price, shipping, customer service, etc? Thanks guys, sorry this isn't a sub/amp related question, but I could use advice anyway .
Old 03-10-2003, 02:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '91 Firebird vert
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: auto
Re: sound system for the IROC

Originally posted by DakotaSLT
Lastly, where are good places to buy in terms of price, shipping, customer service, etc?

in my opinion: crutchfield, crutchfield, and crutchfield. they're sometimes higher on some things, but they're quick in shipping and sometimes you'll get somebody on the phone who knows their stuff. www.crutchfield.com

or go to best buy, circuit city, or some other car audio store--they've almost always got something on sale
Old 03-10-2003, 06:32 PM

Re: Re: sound system for the IROC

Originally posted by underdave
in my opinion: crutchfield, crutchfield, and crutchfield. they're sometimes higher on some things, but they're quick in shipping and sometimes you'll get somebody on the phone who knows their stuff. www.crutchfield.com

or go to best buy, circuit city, or some other car audio store--they've almost always got something on sale
I'll agree on the fact that crutchfield has great service and shipping. However, you put a part # from crutchfield (IE Alpine cda-7897) and it is 600 bucks in Crutchfield. I just got the same cd player for 220, brand new from e-bay...It's your choice. Crutchfield is safer, but you will save hundreds by using ebay.
I'd go with an Alpine deck...speakers: boston acoustic, mb quart..less expensive: alpine, pioneer,kenwood xcelon series
Old 03-10-2003, 07:03 PM
Supreme Member

Location: Mililani, HI USofA Search Posts: 2848.............. Whore Posts: 47.................. Magical Whore Posts: 1
Car: 91 Camaro 77K
Engine: 3.1 Vslick
www.ikesound.com

Customer Service isnt as good as Crutchys, but It's safer than jsut randomly buying off of Ebay....
Old 03-10-2003, 07:58 PM

Car: See pic above
Engine: Too Small
Transmission: Broken
Originally posted by Kj Rockz
www.ikesound.com

Customer Service isnt as good as Crutchys, but It's safer than jsut randomly buying off of Ebay....
Ikesound is not an authorized alpine dealer. So if you end up getting an alpine HU, I wouldn't go there. That's not to say there's anything wrong with Ikesound, I just bought a head unit from them and was very pleased. Just make sure that if you're buying something that's more top end, like alpine, that you get it from an authorized dealer. Otherwise you'll only get the retailer's warranty, which for Ikesound is 1 year. There are other places like www.thezeb.com ,which are authorized dealers.
Old 03-10-2003, 11:35 PM

thanks for the replies. I wired up the stereo in my first car by myself, but not knowing any better I bought Sony stuff because I had had good luck with their home audio stereos. Two years later I'd like to have a a HU that lasts and doesn't scratch/not read my CDs after one winter, so I figured I'd ask some of the gurus here what they recommend . I think I'm going to go with a Alpine CDA-7893 HU and Boston speakers (they make both 4x6s and 6x9s, right?) Anyone have this system/know what I can expect? Any install problems to look for on speakers in our cars (I heard the drivers side dash is known to cause trouble) so I can prepare for them? Thanks again.
Old 03-19-2003, 11:07 AM

Hey guys, did some shopping and have pretty much settled on components, I think I'm going to go with the Alpine CDA-7893 HU, and Infinity Kappas (KAPPA693.5I in the back, KAPPA462.5CFP up front). I heard though that the 6X9's out back draw so much power you really should have an amp powering them. One of the reasons I went with the Alpine HU is because it has a higher power output, but would maybe a 300watt amp powering the speakers be better?, ikesound has the JBL BP300.1, and that seems like it would work very well. Any thoughts? (good choices on components, how well it will sound, is the amp necessary, do I need new wires or will the stockers do the job, etc.) Thanks.
Old 03-19-2003, 01:57 PM

The 300.1 is a mono sub amp. It won't work for powering the 6x9s. Depending on your speakers you may want to check out either the 80.2 or the 180.2 Just remember to match the RMS power of the speakers and the amp, not the max power.
Old 03-19-2003, 03:15 PM

your absolutely right man, just double-checked, thanks for catching that. Do think a two-channel will get me by, or should I buy a 4 channel and run the 6x9's and 4x6's off it. Which speakers need the power more, or would the above speakers even need the boosted signal, can they get by off just the Alpine HU?
Old 03-19-2003, 03:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 Black GTA
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Originally posted by joezero
The 300.1 is a mono sub amp. It won't work for powering the 6x9s. Depending on your speakers you may want to check out either the 80.2 or the 180.2 Just remember to match the RMS power of the speakers and the amp, not the max power.
The 300.1 would work, but your speakers would not be playing in stereo. I would also say the 180.2. Alpine has a nice amp too, the MRP-F240.

Brian
Old 03-19-2003, 03:17 PM

depends on your install.... if you want it loud, amp the 6x9s more.....if you want quality, get some quality 4x6s or even components and put them in kick panels and amp them accordingly.

- Andy
Old 03-19-2003, 03:25 PM

I've found that the dash speakers are usually fine right off the head unit, so long as it puts out enough power (which any quality one will do). If you're really into doing an SQ setup, then putting seperate components in kick panels and getting rid of the dash speakers would be the way to go.

I am still just using dash speakers because while I definently care about how my system sounds I'm not an SQ freak. I know most ppl like to create a "soundstage" but I don't. I don't know if you've ever played in a band, but when you're there playing, things are coming in stereo, the sound seems like it's coming from everywhere and beating into your head. That's what I strived to create, is more the sense the the entire cabin is generating the sound and it's coming from all around.

But if you do want clearly decernable channels, then kick panels powered by a seperate amp is the way to go.
Old 03-19-2003, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by joezero

I am still just using dash speakers because while I definently care about how my system sounds I'm not an SQ freak. I know most ppl like to create a "soundstage" but I don't. I don't know if you've ever played in a band, but when you're there playing, things are coming in stereo, the sound seems like it's coming from everywhere and beating into your head. That's what I strived to create, is more the sense the the entire cabin is generating the sound and it's coming from all around.
Sounds like you and me think alot alike man, the sound coming from everywhere is exactly what I was thinking, good description . Perfect sound quality or pure bass aren't really my thing, but yeah the band example fits perfect.

Oh, and the Alpine has an RMS output of 27 Watts, and a peak 0f 60Watts, I know most manufactureres grossly overrate the output, but supposedly this one has a fair amount of power even without an amp.
Old 03-19-2003, 03:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 Black GTA
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Originally posted by DakotaSLT
Sounds like you and me think alot alike man, the sound coming from everywhere is exactly what I was thinking, good description . Perfect sound quality or pure bass aren't really my thing, but yeah the band example fits perfect.

Oh, and the Alpine has an RMS output of 27 Watts, and a peak 0f 60Watts, I know most manufactureres grossly overrate the output, but supposedly this one has a fair amount of power even without an amp.
If that alpine is the one that I am thinking of, you need to run an 8 ga wire to the battery with a fuse for the head unit. It has the new internal amp that is supposed to be real nice.

Brian
Old 03-19-2003, 04:18 PM

Those alpines can really put out a lot of power. My friend replaced his pioneer HU (the one with the swimming dolphins) with an alpine and it's easily twice as loud. He said that 12 on the alpine is like 30 on the pioneer. The only downside is that they have been known to need a lot of power and get pretty warm. And alpine doesn't overrate their power, so you should be getting at least 27 watts, if not more. A lot of times those numbers are under the worst possible conditions. I.E. 11.5 volts into a 4 ohm load. They do get those pyramid amps to max out at 600 watts, but what they do is give it 14.5 volts into a 1 ohm load and hit it with a ton of power. The amp hits 600 watts......and promptly blows up.
Old 03-22-2003, 01:43 PM
Banned

http://www.carreview.com/Car,Audio/PSC_3644crx.aspx

The above is a link to a car review website. The link should take you to the car audio section. They've got a lot of reviews for most of the companies out there. Check it out. -89IRO
Old 03-24-2003, 03:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI LO3
Gotta jump in with eclipse once again. I got my head, 6x9's, subs, and one of my two amps so far. Just gotta get one more amp and some 4x6's, wires, dynomat, and a cap and im done. Sounds like a lotta **** yet, but for the price of eclipse, i got quite a bit done. That other amp i think will get put in after the fact, cuz i dont have the cash for it..its for the 4x6s and 6x9's. Component wise i have the following:

2 SW6122DVC subs (12 inch dual voice coil)
SE8392 6x9's (Integrated 3 way 6x9's)
33230 Amp (620 2 channel amp for the subs)
CD3422 Head unit

Plan to get:
SE8462A 4x6's
EA3422 Amp for the 4x6's and 6x9's

Gotta say eclipse has yet to do me wrong. Cleanest sound on the market, good power, awsome warrantee (1 year anti theft)