Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Wires, wires, wires...

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 07:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 86 Trans AM
Engine: LS1 (not stock...)
Transmission: Built T56
Axle/Gears: Strange 12-bolt w/ 3.73
Wires, wires, wires...

Hey everyone. I have an 87 TA. Im using a Pioneer DEH-P930 head unit. I have such a hard time making all the wires fit into the radio pod. Ive tried everything. I had a flush mount install kit in, but I recently put one in that makes it stick out about 1/2 inch. Which looks like ***. Ide like it to be flush or even better recessed. So my question...Does anyone have any ideas/tricks on getting all of the wires to squeeze in back there? Ive arleady trimmed some of the pod away in the back to make room for the radio itself. I have a 4th gen console, so some of the wires can come under the pod and go into the front of the console. But all ideas would be appreciated. I know its a simple question...probably a duh question but Im tired of getting frustrated over it. Thanks

Justin
Old 11-28-2003, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 MPFI
Transmission: 700r4
Well you could drummel out the air ducts in there.

At the very least, you should be able to get by with removing the little square part that sticks out. It has the little hole that is there to stabilize the stock deck.

I found when I removed just that little square shaped part that sticks out I could fit my deck in with a flush mount.

Keep in mind there will be still alot of wire packing to do, but it is possible.

I hope this helps.
Old 11-28-2003, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Like demicon said, you definitely have to cut out that square part with the hole in it. That should give you enough room. It will be a tight fit, but it does all go in. I have 3 sets of RCAs along with all the normal wiring and remote wires and they all fit.
Old 11-29-2003, 01:31 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Two words: wire splicing! If wires are a problem, shorten the wires. Better still, bypass any connectors you're using and just hardwire everything together. It saves a lot of room.
Old 11-30-2003, 09:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 86 Trans AM
Engine: LS1 (not stock...)
Transmission: Built T56
Axle/Gears: Strange 12-bolt w/ 3.73
I definetly cut out the bracket piece. I think most of my problem lies in the fact that I am using an a wiring kit. Its big and bulky. Ide like to hardwire it all in, but I am always taking out the radio, and I dont feel like having to unsplice then re-splice everything. Maybe I can convert to a different plug. I also have 3 sets of pre outs, and a whole ton of extra wires coming out of the back of the head unit. Special feature wires etcs. I use most of them so cutting them off wont work. I kinda figured I would just have to mess with it, I just wanted to see if anyone had any creative tricks to making it easy. Any more ideas let me know...and thanks for the ones you gave.

Justin