Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.
View Poll Results: What method would you use to glass an odd shape?
I would just glass over the foil and duct tape.
50.00%
I would use plaster of paris.
0%
I would use another that I'll reply further on below.
50.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Need tips on Glassing (fiberglass curves)

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 12:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 Formula Firebird
Engine: 305 - Demon 525
Transmission: 700R4
Need tips on Glassing (fiberglass curves)

Please respond with any tips or Ideas that you have, even if you think its stupid and everyone already knows it, keep in mind that people who have never glassed from will still benifit from your reply.

So what am I doing? Well I'm creating the first design for a fiberglass top to my fiberglass speaker box. The box filles the whole well in the hatch space. Right now I will not be using the entire air space of the box, I have sealed off less the 2 individual 1 foot cubic spaces for each left and right sub. Just what the sub calls for. But I wanted to do something interesting with the fiberglass. So to get a good picture in your mind of what the mold I made looks like.. Imagine a sqaure box with a speaker mounted on the top. Lets say that top that it was mounted on was made of gum and you pulled the speaker up and angled it to point to a forward dirrection, so if you would see how the gum would stretch and make an odd shape. Well thats basically how my old looks like. I'll get some picture later of that if you cant imagine it.

FIrst I used duck tape to make this kind of mold, was easy, just took the speaker ring that goes over the sub (simple metal ring) and put tape around it, built a cyliner with an angled cut, the used strips of tape to attach the top of the clyinder to the base of the flat portion of the box. Doing this all around the cylinder formed the odd shape.

Next I layered foil over the top of the duck tape mold. This is of course so that the fiberglass doesnt stick to the mold. The problem with the foil is that it wrikles and doesnt not stay down very well ontop of the duck tape mold. You cant press hard on the mold or you will colapes the ducktape. So I'm thinking of using "plaster of pairs" ontop of the mold just to strenthen it. If I do this, I will have a removable hard mold that I could even take off the box then layer the fiberglass inside. If I dont use that Idea then I would layer squared fiberglass matting that would be soaked in the fiberglass resin, ontop of the box.

So whats the difference? Well if I use the plaster of paris then I could use the inside or outside of the mold to to dry the fiberglass on. The inside of the mold may not be all that smooth unless I sanded it a bit. Another downside to this stuff is that it takes a day to dry or so, and worst int he cold weather I would assume. I may be able to dry resin on the top of the box but then we run into a crinkled foil issue, but not as bad as I would if I were to just dry the glass on the top of the foil over duck tape. I guess using plaster of paris would prevent me from sanding to much fiberglass to smooth out the shape. My goal is to make it as smooth as the painted metal of a car. I'm not sure if I'm going to try to shrink carpet onto it or paint it.

Any suggestions on how to mold a smooth top? I think I'll be using the plaster of paris because I cant go wrong with making that mold and then looking at it to see if it will work. I'll get pictures later today and also be waiting on this stuff to dry. Feel free to give opinions on how you would create different forms and shapes with fiberglass and how you would finish it, paint or carpet and how you would paint or carpet a oddly shaped form.

>poll on which to do, plaster or just layer the glass dirrectly on the foil that currently covers over the duck tape.
Old 12-14-2003, 11:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1984 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 5.0L
Transmission: TH700-R4
Fleece.

http://www.sounddomain.com/id/jeep98

http://audioforum.termpro.com/cgi-bi...;f=32;t=000549

http://audioforum.termpro.com/cgi-bi...;f=32;t=001113

http://audioforum.termpro.com/cgi-bi...;f=32;t=001095
Old 12-15-2003, 08:27 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '81 Trans Am
Engine: 6.6L
Transmission: auto 350
yep use fleece on your sub rings...something that is strechable use a staple gun and soak it with the fiberglass and leave it on there (not as a mold like) but its going to be "one with the box" then after your fiberglass, thencut your holes out then use body filler and sander smooth with a elec/air sander. then prime paint and most inportant clear!
Old 12-19-2003, 12:08 AM

Car: 1986 Trans Am
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.27
i used grill cloth from radio shack. but just about any fabric will work as long as it won't come appart or move on you.
Old 12-23-2003, 09:56 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1999 Chevy Cavalier
Engine: 2.2
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: it's part of the transmission
www.fibreglast.com ....or something like that.