Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

THUMP! Amps!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 MPFI
Transmission: 700r4
THUMP! Amps!

OOoh yeah a buddy of mine went to one of them factory reject, rock bottom price for complete crap stores and bought a hefty 300W THUMP! amplifier and a couple of 10" subs in boxes (ported)

Of course he bought the 4 chan version of the amp for running the 10's off the back and some other speakers he has off the front.

Funny thing is his kenwood deck is one of those that only turn the power ant on when the radio is on. LOL So the amp only works for the radio but not for CD.

Things will work out of course, and I know how to solve the issue, its just funny, he even had all the cheapo automotive wires all the same color and size for ground, remote and power.

Reminds me of waaay back when I first started doing wiring with stereos.

The nights in the winter and cold, in the rain, wind, sweltering heat. All the anguish I put my body through just to hear that new sound I was looking for, or to to hook up that new toy I just bought.

So I ask y'all.. what was it like when you people who, like me (I hope there were some), were first starting? Any adventures of parking lot wireing jobs? Disasters? Pics of the most horrid wireing jobs you ever did?

This could be a fun thread.
Old 03-09-2004, 02:07 PM

Car: 83 z28
Engine: 300hp 355
Transmission: T5
Re: THUMP! Amps!

Originally posted by demicon
OOoh yeah a buddy of mine went to one of them factory reject, rock bottom price for complete crap stores and bought a hefty 300W THUMP! amplifier and a couple of 10" subs in boxes (ported)

Of course he bought the 4 chan version of the amp for running the 10's off the back and some other speakers he has off the front.

Funny thing is his kenwood deck is one of those that only turn the power ant on when the radio is on. LOL So the amp only works for the radio but not for CD.

Things will work out of course, and I know how to solve the issue, its just funny, he even had all the cheapo automotive wires all the same color and size for ground, remote and power.

Reminds me of waaay back when I first started doing wiring with stereos.

The nights in the winter and cold, in the rain, wind, sweltering heat. All the anguish I put my body through just to hear that new sound I was looking for, or to to hook up that new toy I just bought.

So I ask y'all.. what was it like when you people who, like me (I hope there were some), were first starting? Any adventures of parking lot wireing jobs? Disasters? Pics of the most horrid wireing jobs you ever did?

This could be a fun thread.
i had 2 HSL excursion 12s in a sealed box that i made waaayyy too small cause i wasnt sure how to calculate cubic feet correctly. Run off of a sony explode 100X2 amp. JBL GTO 6X9s and phoenix gold 4inch rounds in the front. I had a stolen sony deck that was about 5 years old and had 1volt preouts if i remember correctly.

The combo of bad HU and bad amp made the subs sound horrible. So i hooked up some extra subs i had lying around and ran the explode amp at full power at about 1/3 ohm for about 20 minutes then it blew and i took it in for warranty and sold it.

then i moved on to a us acoustics 2100 and two JBL decade 10s in 4 cubes sealed. If anyone has these subs for sale or has an oppurtunity to buy them..DO IT they're very very good quality speakers.
Old 03-09-2004, 03:06 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 IROC-Z
Engine: 355 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Re: THUMP! Amps!

Originally posted by demicon
What model is that Kenwood? It should ether have 1 remote out that is high when the HU is on, or two remote outs, one that is for the power ant. and on that is P.Con (power control). His harness may be missing the P.Con output wire. Give me the model # and I'll check for you.
Old 03-09-2004, 03:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '02 Z06
Engine: L33 5.7
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: Stock IRS
ahh yes my first amp was a american legacy audio 1000watt!! w00. and my worst disaster was when i touched the power wire from thge battery to the preamp wires from the deck and my stereo deck was smoking!!!
Old 03-09-2004, 03:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First amp was a Jensen 500W amp powering two of those old Pioneer 12s that said 450W on the front. Sucked big time compared to what i have now.
Old 03-09-2004, 04:30 PM

In regards to the multiple remote wires, you are right, it has about 2 or so. (It was dark at the time it was hard to tell)

This was going to be one of the ideas I offered him. However, this guy is a throw together kinda guy so.. we made little progress.

However, I will hunt down the model number for you.

Thanks for the help btw
Old 03-09-2004, 04:46 PM
Supreme Member

Car: GM & Jaguar
Engine: Various
Transmission: Various
Axle/Gears: Various
Well, this is on behalf of a coworker. He had this crummy box-like 80's Ford station wagon with two 10's and an 18!!! He literally had a "pile" of amps, wires, and electrical tape supplying this mess. One day a hot wire under the seat wore through and caught fire under the driver's seat! He jumped out and just started tugging handfulls of wire out. It melted a bunch of stuff. He boasts that he could set a pop can on the roof and make it levitate with the immense 18" cranked as well as repeated rear window hatch pop opens. I never saw the car "in person" just in past photos of his, so don't go nuts with "Levitate, that's BS!" - Just a funny story
Old 03-10-2004, 07:14 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 IROC-Z
Engine: 355 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Demicon, the Ant. Cont. should be the solid blue wire, this one will raise the antenna with the radio. The P. Cont. (power control) should be the blue with a white strip, and will be high anytime the HU is on. Try that, it should straiten out the amps.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:35 AM

Thanks a lot

I'll be sure to make that change when he and I next work on the deck.

Should be about the same time he gets some proper wire for the amp.

I'll let you know how it pans out.
Old 03-12-2004, 10:07 AM

Well we rewired the system properly, all is good.

Thanks for the help, that was the correct remote wire to use.

the mighty THUMP! amp is working fine. Funny, it runs ice cold, even after long use.

I am impressed.

Anyhow nice stories I have seen so far.

Keep em commin if you can.

Old 03-13-2004, 01:23 AM

my first amp was an OLD autotek 22w that i was running a JL W0-10 with, then i stepped up/down into a blaupunkt 12", the ones that said BLAU on the dust cap.

since then i have improved on my equipment a little, but that autotek was a pretty stout little amp.

adam
Old 03-13-2004, 01:41 AM
Supreme Member

Location: Mililani, HI USofA Search Posts: 2848.............. Whore Posts: 47.................. Magical Whore Posts: 1
Car: 91 Camaro 77K
Engine: 3.1 Vslick
my first amp was a Rockford Fosgate 800.4

of course I had a nice job at the time of purchase.
Old 03-13-2004, 02:40 PM

Car: 83 z28
Engine: 300hp 355
Transmission: T5
Originally posted by tpiroc
Well, this is on behalf of a coworker. He had this crummy box-like 80's Ford station wagon with two 10's and an 18!!! He literally had a "pile" of amps, wires, and electrical tape supplying this mess. One day a hot wire under the seat wore through and caught fire under the driver's seat! He jumped out and just started tugging handfulls of wire out. It melted a bunch of stuff. He boasts that he could set a pop can on the roof and make it levitate with the immense 18" cranked as well as repeated rear window hatch pop opens. I never saw the car "in person" just in past photos of his, so don't go nuts with "Levitate, that's BS!" - Just a funny story
i dont think the pop can would levitate as in hover off of the roof of the car unless he cut a small hole in the roof to relieve the pressure. Im sure he could launch a pop can off the roof with the resonation of the roof panel itself but thats fairly common. Its a cool thing to showoff to your friends but the more things in your car that resonate, the more sound you're losing.