Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Where do you buy your audio components online?

Old 02-05-2006, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Trans Am Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:08
do you know what kinda price for those pro boxes
Old 02-05-2006, 12:18 PM

Car: 89 RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: Auto
The guy who is goin to do my daughters custom fiberglass box, here owns a stereo shop. I had talked to him about them first, and his reply was they usually run around $250. He also added that they are coverer with Rhino liner, after the construction process for added durability, and scratchs that may occur
Old 03-29-2006, 08:34 PM

Car: 97 b4c camaro
Engine: 350 lt1
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Another great site is caraudiodeals.com they haven't done me wrong yet.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:18 PM

I have to vouche for sonicelectronix.com , they have treated me well, fast shipping. Purchase brand name items, and you wont get defects :P
Old 04-24-2006, 04:25 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2000 Trans Am WS6 (Black)
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60E
whoa!!! stay the HELL away from SONICELECTRONIX.COM!!!

I purchased a Hifonics 1605D from them... it was defective.... sent it back, and they were going to MAKE me not only pay shipping to them, but shipping BACK to me as well!!!

I recieved another 1605D... and guess what? it was defective as well...

and the amazing part, is that they have a policy, where they will only replace an item once... even if the replacement is defective...

crap product from crap company... sorry, but I can't find anything good to say about them... I would literally take ebay over sonicelectronix...

ikesound, or crutchfield comes first though....
Old 08-02-2006, 08:19 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 86 Z28
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: TBD
Looking for boxes i found these

Topedge online.com
Custom Sub Boxes ON SALE!
Top Edge - Product Catalog

Subthump.com
owned by a previous tgo member
Camaro vehicle specific sub enclosures
Old 09-01-2006, 12:29 PM

Car: 1992 RS Camaro
Engine: 305 tbi
Car Audio, Car Stereos, Subwoofers, Amplifiers, and Car Audio Accessories
Old 01-22-2007, 02:50 AM

Car: 1981 Z28, dark metallic purple =]
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: Stage III 700-R4 from Bowtie
Axle/Gears: 3.42, soon to be 3.73
crutchfield.com is the absolute best one, when you're there you let them know exactly what kind of car you have (for me, they know it's a 1992 pontiac firebird with power windows) and they let you know where you can install speakers and what sizes you need, as well as for receivers, when you buy a receiver they throw in all the wiring harnesses for free which is a major saving (at best buy, 1 of the 2 harnesses you need and the standard-to-GM antenna adapter together are over $30, and i would have spent more if i didnt buy my receiver used, the owner threw in the wiring for free. never buy a car stereo used, btw.) crutchfield is a top notch site, and the receiver i STRONGLY recommend for 3rd gen cars is the pioneer DEH-P77DH, which crutchfield carries. it's a 1.5 din receiver for GM and chrysler cars that have the "oversized opening blues."
Old 01-29-2007, 12:25 PM

Car: 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS Red
Engine: 305 V8 TBI
Transmission: TH-700R4
bizrate.com
Old 01-29-2007, 12:28 PM
Supreme Member

Can an admin please consolidate this into a single post possibly? It's getting so long that it's losing it's helpfulness.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:45 AM

Car: 86 Camaro
Engine: 2.8L mpfi V-6
Re: Where do you buy your audio components online?

Originally Posted by ScrapMaker

I purchased a Hifonics 1605D from them... it was defective.... sent it back, and they were going to MAKE me not only pay shipping to them, but shipping BACK to me as well!!!

and the amazing part, is that they have a policy, where they will only replace an item once... even if the replacement is defective...

crap product from crap company... sorry, but I can't find anything good to say about them... I would literally take ebay over sonicelectronix...

YEA, sonic electonix guys are horrible... i bought 2 cliff design subs off of them, and i went to return them cuz they both toasted in 2 weeks and they said they couldn't exchange them because the warranty didn't cover it. so i ended getting suck with 2 blown 12 inch subs... and they didn't fail cuz i hooked them up wrong the cones separated from the surroundings..so yea deff don't buy from them, i'd much rather pay out the butt for crutchfield before i go back to them again...
Old 04-25-2007, 08:20 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 camaro
Engine: 383 sbc
Transmission: th-400
Axle/Gears: 4th Gen 10 bolt/Detroit TrueTrac 4.

I agree, Sonic Electronix customer service is horrible but The Clif Design subs have a 5 year warranty. I have 3 10" in my Taurus and love them. I would have, or if you still can, contact the manufacturer. Did you fill out all the necessary paperwork for the warranty that came with the subs?

BTW, I tend to use Sonic Electronix as a price matching vendor. Then purchase my stuff mostly through SoundDomain.com with the price match.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:29 PM

Car: 1989 camaro rs
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700r

iksound.com was great order over 500 in subs amps and wire and ordered from techtronics.com for my reciver which was 250 shipped both great places
Old 06-10-2007, 02:11 AM

Car: 1985 z28 camaro
Engine: 305 tpi
Transmission: b&m 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 posi

Ebay... Does have a big selection, you have to put in the kind of speakers you want to have big result. I got my kicker speakers and tweeters off of ebay.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by redcamaro83

i bought an amp from them one time, paid for overnight shipping since i was going out of town, and wanted it for the trip.. i procrastinate.

it didn't arrive when it was supposed to, so i called. hadn't shipped it yet. so i told 'em i was pretty pissed to have spent $35 extra for shipping and they've still got it. they refunded every penny of the shipping costs, including the reg. shipping and nabbed it then and there and packaged it up and overnighted it to me, on their dime. i still had to leave without it, but they had golden opportunity to be buttheads and "sorry about your luck" with me. but they didn't.

and walmart can't touch their prices on some stuff.

when i go looking for my next stereo, it'll be from them.

-Chris
Old 09-07-2007, 10:48 PM

Car: 1997 Grand Prix GTP (for now)
Engine: 3.8 sc

I own one as well clarityelectronics.com I try and be honest with people, and if something is broke send it to me I get you a new one out. I am not the fastest guy around (I do it on the side right now) my prices are competitive, and I charge actual shipping plus a couple bucks for materials (tape and what not ) sonicelectronix from my experience seems to have alot more issues than the others (I get alot of their customers) also before ordering with any of them (except maybe crutchfield) double check stock. I can pretty much check stock on onlinecarstereo (they are owned by a distributor I use)
Old 09-08-2007, 02:34 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by iamtheantirice

i bought an amp from them one time, paid for overnight shipping since i was going out of town, and wanted it for the trip.. i procrastinate.

it didn't arrive when it was supposed to, so i called. hadn't shipped it yet. so i told 'em i was pretty pissed to have spent $35 extra for shipping and they've still got it. they refunded every penny of the shipping costs, including the reg. shipping and nabbed it then and there and packaged it up and overnighted it to me, on their dime. i still had to leave without it, but they had golden opportunity to be buttheads and "sorry about your luck" with me. but they didn't.

and walmart can't touch their prices on some stuff.

when i go looking for my next stereo, it'll be from them.

-Chris
I wouldn't order from Etronics.com... They are horrible when it comes to returns because of their own mistakes... My friend ordered some Infinity Kappa Perfect 5.25" components, and he got an email confirming two sets of components... for twice the price... he called up the next morning and the guy said that there was nothing they could do because the order had already been processed. Said the components would be shipping later that day... refused to fix their error. My friend eventually found someone to buy his components, but it was a huge pain in the ***, and I would never order from them again...
Old 09-19-2007, 08:26 AM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 86 Trans AM
Engine: LS1 (not stock...)
Transmission: Built T56
Axle/Gears: Strange 12-bolt w/ 3.73

I guess Ill be on the other few that actually say Ive had great luck with sonicelectronic... I bought 5 head units from them...all came fast, all were cheap, and all have lasted me years so far. I always buy pioneer and have never had an issue. I put one in my Jeep, my girls car, my moms jeep, my buddies jeep, and I just recently bought a new P980BT for the Trans AM. All came with free wiring and install kits which worked perfectly.

Maybe its the brands you are buying?? Ill buy from them again if I have to. Im looking at getting all new speaks and some new subs...Im gonna shop around at some of the other places you guys mentioned and see what I can get ahold of.

Justin
Old 09-19-2007, 05:58 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
I guess Ill be on the other few that actually say Ive had great luck with sonicelectronic... I bought 5 head units from them...all came fast, all were cheap, and all have lasted me years so far. I always buy pioneer and have never had an issue. I put one in my Jeep, my girls car, my moms jeep, my buddies jeep, and I just recently bought a new P980BT for the Trans AM. All came with free wiring and install kits which worked perfectly.

Maybe its the brands you are buying?? Ill buy from them again if I have to. Im looking at getting all new speaks and some new subs...Im gonna shop around at some of the other places you guys mentioned and see what I can get ahold of.

Justin
I would be especially worried about Pioneer... they make excellent units, but they have tons of problems... If you don't have the real Premiere warranty from sonicelectronix... screw that... the pioneers with moving screens are so faulty, it's amazing... I love my P980BT, but damn, I'm about to send it in for the second time this year, for the same thing... the contacts on the faceplate lose connection sometimes... in certain cases, you can move the faceplate around and it will re-connect, but others, you have to turn off the car and when you turn it back on, the radio will work fine...

No warranty = your loss...

I hope the $50 or whatever you save is worth it...
Old 12-28-2007, 12:01 AM

www.onlincecarstereo.com
has wide selection from subs,amps head units dvd players...... pretty much u can think of it they have it and at prices ALOT cheaper then retail store,
Old 12-28-2007, 12:11 AM

Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI *355 Coming Soon*
Transmission: 700R4 *T56 Coming Soon*
Axle/Gears: 323

Etronics.com is great!! Especially since they're in Long Island City, if I order early enough in the day They ship out same day and I can have what I ordered the next day!!

Crutchfield.com is good as well. They can be a little pricey, but on the same note they also give you everything you need!
Old 01-16-2008, 04:43 PM

Ebay if they have good deals, which they do if you play the waiting game, sometimes big name stores like Circuit City or Best Buy. Amazon alittle too.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:20 PM

Car: 1988 Trans Am, 2005 Sierra 2500
Engine: Vortec 357
Transmission: Built TH700R4 with 26-2800 Stall
Axle/Gears: GM 10 bolt 3.73 Posi

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/ is one of the BEST places ive ever gone throught. u can save up to 200 dollars on subs,amps or watever ur looking for. Great deals all the time
Old 04-03-2008, 05:13 PM

crutchfeild is deff. too expensive.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 89 IROC
Engine: 305 TPI / ZZ4 cam
Transmission: Stage 2 700R4, LS1 driveshaft
Axle/Gears: Strange 3.42 w/ Auburn

I bought two head units from sonicelectronix and had no issues. Great delivery time and free accessories!

I also like woofersetc.com. Some items are a bit pricy compared to other sites but they carry several lines (mostly high end...Focal, Audison) that other sites do not offer at a reasonable price.

Some good deals can be had on ebay but you have to be on the lookout for them.

Know what you want and be patient.....you will save a few $$.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC & ROLL-Z
Engine: L98 Vortec FIRST TPI
Transmission: T56, Mech Speedo
Axle/Gears: G92 J65 3.27

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND

not buying from www.SonicElectronix.com

I purchased a Hifonics 1605D (1600w Monoblock,) and it was defective on arrival.

Sent it in for RMA, got another one with another problem...

only thing is, it's their 'policy' not to allow more than one return per orginal purchase.

So I would not recommend these *******s, nor would I ever recommend Hifonics, unless you are in a position where you can keep returning them until you get a good one.

Did I mention they were just *******s in general on the phone? The 'tech' guy was nice, and even suggested I change my amp out for a more expensive one... which I was going to do.

I told them this, "look guys, I'm willing to GIVE you another TWO HUNDRED dollars to upgrade this amp..." and they would not take it... this doesn't even make sense from a business prospective...

reminds me of when a parent makes a rule for one child, that really doesn't apply to another, but has to enforce it or the other children (other sonic customers who abuse the policy) will quable about it forever.

Still doesn't change the fact that I spend about an hour on hold to get an answer I wasn't looking for in the first place...

Don't buy from Sonic Electronix, or Hifonics

'nuff said
I have bought 3 Head units, 2 Amps, probably 10 subwoofers, and a handfull of component speakers from Sonic Electronix and never had a problem with anything.

Sorry to hear about your Amplifier Escapade
Old 05-31-2008, 10:54 AM

Car: 1985 Camaro and 1996 Mustang GT
Engine: 350 4bbl/281
Transmission: 700R4/4R70W
Axle/Gears: 9" rear/8.8" 4.10

i can tell you where not to... HIFISoundConnection. horrible customer service (dont pick up phones and voice mail box full). slow shipping and HORRIBLE packaging. i have been jacked around with them twice.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:32 PM

Engine: 305 TPI

Listen, I work at bestbuy, and I am the Home essentials supervisor, and we hook people up with crazy audio systems. For example given I work there, I mean you can get freakin Alpine PDX amps which are the best, type R or type E alpine subs, and then a set Infinity Kappa spears, I promise you that pick and match will dang near beat or compete with anyone on this website, given beyond say a Bass competition, just over all it is rediculous. I promise, I have that and it is unreal, I win competitions all the time just from that set up.

The other thing is if you have them install it if you purchase it from there, you get LIFETIME warranty on the installation which is awesome.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:54 PM

Car: 1992 FORMULA
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: 4.10

this is precisely why you should try to find a local dealer to deal with, lots of good ones out there, i replace gear all the time over the counter and most shops will depending on what they sell brand wise. kicker makes me cut just the comes out of the speaker and send them back to kicker for warranty! saves on shipping

you can still ship that hifonics amp back to hifonics for repair if its less than a year old. call 847-540-7700 get an RA# then ship it off! itll probably be 25 to ship one way, insured and hifonics will pay to ship it back to you.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NTChrist
Like the title says.

I know about places like sounddomain.com and crutchfield.com, but I hear lots of people say that there are cheaper places to shop. Ebaymotors.com doesn't seem to have that much of a selection, and most sellers want crazy $$$ for shipping.

Preferably places that you've successfully ordered from, so I know they're legit.

TIA
My friend recommended me ikesound.com. That is the online store which supplied my Kicker 06VS10L74. The unit is still good for about 8 months now.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:45 PM

im about to make a purchase from www.dealercostcaraudio.com and www.onlinecarstereo.com .i love income tax return time!!
Old 02-10-2009, 07:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro
Engine: L98 350

I usually check with Amazon before buying stuff. Sometimes they are amazing. Prices lower than most and low/free fast shipping. Worth a look.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:20 PM

Car: 91 RS (In project) 350 TBI
Engine: 350 TBI Pulled From 87 Chev Truck
Transmission: stock Manual 5 speed
Axle/Gears: stock

This website is helpfull on anything car audio or electronics but they specilize in car audio in the forums. Register you wont regret it and go to the car audio forums.

ecoustics.com
Old 06-16-2009, 06:52 PM

Location: I'm from hawaii, but I've been going to school in Grand Forks, ND for four years now
Car: 1989 Camaro, 1991 Firebird
Engine: 305 in the chevy, 350 in the bird

Originally Posted by NTChrist
Like the title says.

I know about places like sounddomain.com and crutchfield.com, but I hear lots of people say that there are cheaper places to shop. Ebaymotors.com doesn't seem to have that much of a selection, and most sellers want crazy $$$ for shipping.

Preferably places that you've successfully ordered from, so I know they're legit.

TIA

Just go to regular old eBay. -Or the electronics section on ebay rather than motors.
I just bought two 4-Way 6x9's for a killer deal and turned out great for those side ("rear") speakers. Also got a pretty good deal on the 4x6's that go on the dash. They haven't shipped yet though. There's actually a ton of different car audio stuff available on ebay... you just gotta be patient and really look through everything and find the killer deals. It's worth it!
Old 07-07-2009, 01:12 AM

Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: 5.7 350
Transmission: 700R4

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet but, www.onlinecarstereo.com. I got my entire setup from them, speakers, deck, amp, subs the whole lot all for about $250
Old 07-07-2009, 09:26 AM

Car: 1988 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 350TPI
Axle/Gears: 3:27

crutchfield.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:43 PM

Car: 1982 Trans Am
Engine: 350 Chevy
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: Stock

Ive ordered from crutchfield a few years ago, was very satisfied. I bought two 12" Rockford Fosgate HE2 subs when they were closing that model out, i got the pair for about 270 shipped where they were 200 a piece new before that. And they were some pretty good subs, unlike those new models id never buy those, atleast not the p1, p2 etc they just crack IMO.

If your looking for used, or some SPL stuff, go over to caraudio.com/forum and check out the classifieds. There are usually some good things over there, not only SPL but the majority of it i would say is. Can find some nice high end stuff over there.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:09 AM

Car: 86 Camaro berlinetta sport coupe
Engine: 2.8 soon to be 4.3
Transmission: T5 soon to be 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42

onlinecarstereo.com

free shipping on ordes 100 dollars and more. best deals so far i've seen. check it out!
Old 01-26-2010, 01:21 AM

Car: 91 Camaro RS 5.0
Engine: 305 about to be blown 383
Transmission: world class about to be th400
Axle/Gears: shity about to be 4.10

sonicelectronix.com

best in the biz, great service shippings amazing, totally legit and top brand names
Old 01-27-2010, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by jovial86
BestBuy.com and CircuitCity.com. Beyond retail e-stores, I don't know much.
You same me. I also don't know much.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:05 AM

if you have any question im a mecp (mobile eletronics certified perfesional)

been in the biz about 10 years with my dad
Old 04-26-2010, 11:30 PM

Car: 1991 RS
Engine: custom tuned LS1
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 2.73

https://www.sonicelectronix.com

based in CA and they ship quick too
Old 04-28-2010, 09:21 PM

sonic has never sent me a defective item and at least they returned it once and since it was defective it shouldnt be sonics problem it should be hifo at least they did it once and you should have ask for stor credit cause i had a defective amp and they gave me 50 exstra sonic bucks for what ever i wanted
Old 04-29-2010, 11:14 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 GTA/93 S13/91 Si
Engine: 5.7 350 TPI

crutchfeild.com
Old 05-09-2010, 06:32 PM

Car: 1985 iroc z
Engine: 350 .30 over
Transmission: t-5
Axle/Gears: told aftermarket moser 3.73 posi?

i read through all of these and i didnt see the place i buy my stuff from... www.hifisoundconnection.com i bought 4 15'' kicker cvx's 2 6x9 kicker ks series 2 pairs of kicker ks 6.5 4 kicker 1250.1 a kicker 700.4 and an alpine double din head unit all for around 3000 dollars and its by far the loudest stereo ive ever heard other than all out competition cars.... it was all installed in my 1999 yukon... all of that from a local audio shop wanted around 7 grand before installation.... but back to the website they have great deals theyre an authorized dealer most of the stuff they sell is last years model or remanufactured but still comes with the factory warranty...i installed all of that last spring and i since sold the truck but that thing still scares the hell out of me when it comes by sounds like an earthquake and nothing has broke still works perfect.... i sold it to my cousin so i still ride in it all the time...
Old 07-15-2010, 08:42 AM

Car: 1985 Camaro Z28
Engine: 305 mild build up
Axle/Gears: Stock

I had good luck on Ebay. I got a brand new in the box kenwood system there from a seller called millionbuy. for under 250 dollars shipped and I can hook my XM system into it. I also got the kenwood speakers there but from a different seller, a pair of 6x9 400 watt max 60 dollars shipped.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:40 AM

Car: 87 Trans am
Engine: 305
Transmission: 5 speed

I like crutchfield.com

Somethings are a little bit over priced but they are great to deal with when it comes to warranties or replacements

and most of their warranties have no "fine print" !
Old 09-06-2010, 07:12 PM

Car: 1989 Firebird
Engine: 350 TBI
Transmission: 700R4 (Sadly)
Axle/Gears: ?.??

Crutchfield.com is the place to go, they include the monuting gear and there customer support is amazing.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:57 AM

Car: Camaro Z28
Engine: LT1

Where can I find a good aftermarket deck for a fair price, and what is the best brand(s) to look at?
Old 09-12-2010, 05:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 89 IROC
Engine: 305 TPI / ZZ4 cam
Transmission: Stage 2 700R4, LS1 driveshaft
Axle/Gears: Strange 3.42 w/ Auburn

Originally Posted by Brundieck
Where can I find a good aftermarket deck for a fair price, and what is the best brand(s) to look at?
I like woofersetc.com

Look at Alpine, Pioneer or Kenwood (Excelon). You might get a deal on Eclipse as they are leaving the market to focus on OEM.

http://www.woofersetc.com/p8654/KDCX...M-Receiver.htm

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where do you buy your audio components online?