Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Amp rack ideas

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 02:49 PM
Supreme Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 90 Formula
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt/3.27
Amp rack ideas

I just bought a set of 4th gen leather seats with power everything. My problem is that now the two amps I have hidden under the current seats won't clear the motors on the new seats. I'm also downsizing from three two channel amps to one four channel and one two channel. I'd like to do an amp rack but I also want to keep the stuff hidden until I want to show it off. I was thinking of using the idea of the locking hatch cover for the well and mounting the amps to the underside of the cover above the subs. I had also considered making a false floor in the rear before the well just tall enough to mount the amps on the incline coming out of the well and then going flat to the rear seat and just remounting the bag hooks for a stealthy appearance. My brother also mentioned mounting one amp in the spare tire well and one where the small locking storage compartment used to be. What do you think of these ideas? Anyone have a different one?
Old 11-01-2004, 03:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 00 Camaro SS
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: 6 speed
I like having mine in the spare tire well.It's outta sight and it still gets plenty of air.I would put them in the well and locking compartment.

Last edited by 87tpi; 11-01-2004 at 03:08 PM.
Old 11-01-2004, 04:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1993 Nissan 240sx
Engine: Turbo KA24DE
Transmission: 5 spd
Axle/Gears: 4.08 VLSD
I have an amp rack built off to the side on one car, and then the amps built into the actual box on the other.

The one I made myself was the single rack above the sub on the left. It had the amp fairly high up, but still low enough that I could use my t-top bags with no problem.

On the other car, I am not too sure. They are mounted to the inside of the plate that houses one 12" sub, and somehow they still manage to get enough air.

If I were you, I'd probably stick it in the spare tire well, if you dont need a spare, and just make sure it is REALLY well protected from the elements and stuff.
Old 11-02-2004, 06:28 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 IROC-Z
Engine: 355 TPI
It's usual not a good idea to mount the amps to the box in any way. The constant vibration can play havoc with the connections. I'd say 80-90% of the amps I see with bad solder connections where mount to the box. These are amps that would have lived long trouble free lives had they been mounted some place other then directly to the box. Now the owner had to pull them out and send them to get fixed, spending a couple of weeks without base. The better the amp, the less likely this is to be a problem, (note I said less likely, not impossible). Doing your fails floor may not give the amp the air it needs to stay cool, again not good for the amps longevity. Adding a fan to the mix would be a good idea. If you have room I like the storage compartment.
Old 11-03-2004, 05:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 90 Formula
Engine: 305
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt/3.27
I wasn't intending to mount the amps under the false floor, but on top of the portion that will be over the incline rising out of the well area. The rest of the floor will be flat,matching the hatch area that the T top bag lays on which will be mounted in that location as originally.