Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Stock radio (lol) - tape deck question

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Z/28 1LE
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Stock radio (lol) - tape deck question

Hey guys, just traded in my '91 V6 RS for a '91 Z28, 350 TPI, immaculate interior, no cracking on the dash, no leather cracking, no broken vents, no stains, fully loaded, but, haha, it still has the original radio, am/fm and cassette.

Now, I'm not a huge audiophile, I really only listen to music on longer trips, which I have my MP3 player for. I have an FM transmitter, but the sound quality is horrendous, even by my standards.

Anyways, I picked up one of those cassette adapters, the one that goes into the tape deck, has a cord coming out that you plug into a headphone jack. Only problem is, it keeps trying to search it, and for some reason ejects it soon after. It'll play a regular tape just fine, but for some reason keeps ejecting the adapter.

Is there anything I can do about this? Outside of a new stereo haha, which I have at home, but I'm away at school right now, and the drive is 6 hours.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:39 AM

Car: 86 Trans Am
Engine: 385 Fast Burn
Transmission: 700R4 - stock (eep!)
Axle/Gears: Stock, will upgrade at some point
Re: Stock radio (lol) - tape deck question

There is an adapter out there that you can add to the antenna wire for a direct link to the radio, much like an AUX in. Lemme see if I can find it...

FM Direct Link - Sirius Example

Bunch of other ones

I'd call and ask if it will work before ordering, I'm pretty sure it will though.

Last edited by Fyrstorm; 02-19-2009 at 06:43 AM.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Fyrstorm
There is an adapter out there that you can add to the antenna wire for a direct link to the radio, much like an AUX in. Lemme see if I can find it...

FM Direct Link - Sirius Example

Bunch of other ones

I'd call and ask if it will work before ordering, I'm pretty sure it will though.

Well, I went and got the sirius one, and an adapter since the audio jack on the sirius out is smaller, only to find that my radio aerial is a different size than standard

Sigh haha.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:02 AM

Car: 86 Trans Am
Engine: 385 Fast Burn
Transmission: 700R4 - stock (eep!)
Axle/Gears: Stock, will upgrade at some point

Doh!

Wonder if there are any adapters out there to make it fit.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:34 PM

Possibly. I'm gonna run by a car audio place tomorrow on my lunch break and see if there is.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1988 Flame Red Trans am GTA
Engine: Forged 355 4 Bolt, FIRST TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: ls1 torsen 3.42 gear

yeah i noticed the same thing to.... it will play cassettes just fine but when i put in that cassette converter it searches and spits it out.... i dont wanna get a aftermarket radio unit but is there any other way i can hook my ipod through my stock radio......
Old 02-20-2009, 10:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts
Car: '82 z28
Engine: L83 5.7
Transmission: 700r4-1985
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi

What about using an fm modulator such as used with
CD changers(hooks up to antenna plug) Also have seen
some delco radios modified with an aux jack on the
front to play ipods through-check ebay.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:35 PM

I tried a sirius FM direct connection, the one that was posted earlier in the thread, but it was a no-go, needed the radio aspect of the sirius reciever.

The good news, however, is that walmart carries a universal aerial converter that changes the stock aerial size, which is a lot smaller than a regular one, to a regular size.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:48 AM

Car: MSD Dist., Crane Hi 6 ignition
Engine: 350 - 50 over, S/R Torquer Heads
Transmission: T56 - Originally a 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt posi with 370

Originally Posted by 88fastgta
yeah i noticed the same thing to.... it will play cassettes just fine but when i put in that cassette converter it searches and spits it out.... i dont wanna get a aftermarket radio unit but is there any other way i can hook my ipod through my stock radio......
The newer delco's are logic decks. The tape sensor is the problem. The newer ones have a disable feature for cassette head cleaners and adpaters alike.
I bought my GTA used and it didn't come with a radio manual, but after a lot of searching, I found out how to turn this feature on.

Turn the car on and turn the radio off, hold the tape/play button for 3 seconds and "ready' lites up display and the tape indicator will flash. The sensor is now off and the adapter will work perfectly.

I have a ipod fm transmitter and the cassette adapter sounds far better, at least in other rides. The above process isn't working with my deck - if anyone has a manual for the Pontiac Delco radio with 7 band EQ, please explain how to turn off the tape sensor.

I have a few calls into Delco and authorized repair shops so I will update as soon as I hear back.

Hope this helps! I have even done the mode to remove the rubber wheel in the adapter and that didn't work. Have tried a few different kinds, even the griffen smart deck adapter all without success.

These decks are too smart for there own good. Why do you need a tape break warning? If it breaks (error code "E11") its too late anyway. You no longer hear the music so you would eject the tape to inspect code or not. The adapters work in every ride I tired except the delco radios....

With mine not working, I can't use the cassette cleaner which cleans the head, caspin and pinch rollers. I figure my deck and the older ones must have a disable feature but it has been impossible to find so far....hope to hear back tomorrow.

Important to note that I upgraded mine to a newer style its from a 1995 - 2000 bought at a yard, they weren't sure of the year....

Last edited by 88 TA GTA; 03-05-2010 at 12:55 AM.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:19 PM

Received confirmation: To set your deck up to play a cassette adapter or head cleaner, turn the radio on and press the eject button and hold for 3 seconds. The tape icon will flash and the tape sensor will not be active until you eject the tape. Each time you want to do this you will have to hold that button.

Again my deck is the newer 1995- 2001 with 7 band EQ.

My deck does set up as above but still won't play the smart deck adapter I have, think the adapter is defective.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:29 PM

I gave up on the transmitters and wired in a line in directly to the tape deck. I have the 4th gen Cd player with tape deck add on. Opened it up the four wires for left and right channel were on top and I spliced in a head phone jack from an old set of headphones and it works perfectly. Just like a line in added to your home stereo. Just watch your mp3 player volume. It's a very easy mod.