Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

radio install help

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
radio install help

hi everyone, i need some help, i got a new aftermarket radio, a JVC and i wired everything up correctly, but when i turned the bass up on the radio settings the speakers would get choppy, theyre not blown because i would wiggle the wires and they would be good again, so i thought maybe some bad wire, so i recut all the wires so new wire was being used, now it doesnt even work at all, can somebody help? suggestions greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:08 PM

Re: radio install help

did you cut the factory plug and hard wire it i hope not 10 bux for wireing kit as far as it not comeing on get a test light if your fuses are blown as far as the bass getting choppy are you talking about subs or factory or factory replacements ??
Old 03-19-2009, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by skitztikwon
did you cut the factory plug and hard wire it i hope not 10 bux for wireing kit as far as it not comeing on get a test light if your fuses are blown as far as the bass getting choppy are you talking about subs or factory or factory replacements ??
i dont think i did that, whats the factory plug look like? when i turn the bass up on the radio settings it makes the factory speakers choppy, then when i wiggle the wires a little bit it would stop, but now it just doesnt work period..
Old 03-20-2009, 07:15 AM

Are you talking about wiggling the wires behind the stereo, or at the speaker itself? It could be that the speakers are grounding out. Which means one of the terminals of the speaker, or any form of speaker wire, is making contact with the metal in the car. Certain radios react to this differently. Like I know with my Pioneer radios, if one speaker "grounds out", then all 4 of the speakers will stop working to protect the radio. As for a JVC, i did an install of a jvc headunit and 4 speakers in a equinox a few weeks ago. And she came back because her front right speaker sounded like it was rattleing, or cutting out every time she turned up her bass or the music to high. I pulled out the speaker, and low and behold, it was touching the metal around the speaker cavity in the door.

So my advice to you is I usually take a good piece of duct tape and wrap it all around the speaker terminals at the speaker once i've made my connection, this prevents the speaker from making contact with the car and grounding out. As for your speaker not working, check all your connections behind the radio and at the speaker. If you're familiar with how to use a digital multi meter, check for continuity behind the radio and at the terminal on the speaker to make sure you have a good connection.

If you have any further questions, car audio is what i do for a living, feel free to ask.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by vahn401
Are you talking about wiggling the wires behind the stereo, or at the speaker itself? It could be that the speakers are grounding out. Which means one of the terminals of the speaker, or any form of speaker wire, is making contact with the metal in the car. Certain radios react to this differently. Like I know with my Pioneer radios, if one speaker "grounds out", then all 4 of the speakers will stop working to protect the radio. As for a JVC, i did an install of a jvc headunit and 4 speakers in a equinox a few weeks ago. And she came back because her front right speaker sounded like it was rattleing, or cutting out every time she turned up her bass or the music to high. I pulled out the speaker, and low and behold, it was touching the metal around the speaker cavity in the door.

So my advice to you is I usually take a good piece of duct tape and wrap it all around the speaker terminals at the speaker once i've made my connection, this prevents the speaker from making contact with the car and grounding out. As for your speaker not working, check all your connections behind the radio and at the speaker. If you're familiar with how to use a digital multi meter, check for continuity behind the radio and at the terminal on the speaker to make sure you have a good connection.

If you have any further questions, car audio is what i do for a living, feel free to ask.
wow, thanks for all the info, im goin to go check that out right now and ill let you know what happens