Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Good Hidden Antenna/ MSD Ignition Box Causing Static

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro Z-28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: 2.73:1
Good Hidden Antenna/ MSD Ignition Box Causing Static

Ok so here it is, I recently installed a MSD ignition box using their installation wiring harness, so I didn't have to cut any wires. This makes for a very nice and quick install I only had to connect to the battery and find a suitable spot for the ground. Now to the problem, since this install and I know it's related for two reasons I am only getting static reception from my stereo. Now I know it's the box because, one when I just turn the ignition back to listen to the radio with the engine of I have normal reception and two, since I can unplug the box and go back to factory very quickly I tried it and with the vehicle on I have reception. Now I would rather have the ignition box than not, so I am trying to come up with a solution. I contacted MSD only to get the response that I needed to move the box/wiring away from the antenna/radio wiring. I tried this and still only get static. I have even attempted connecting another antenna to the radio and hiding it in the car, but alas it was ment to be mounted externally and only pic's up stations if I hold it out the window. So I've been looking online at hidden antenna's and was wondering if anyone here has tried one with success. The reviews online are mixed and of course no one with a 3rd gen camaro had reviewed any. If not does anybody have a solution for the MSD box causing static, other than to go back to stock.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:51 PM

Re: Good Hidden Antenna/ MSD Ignition Box Causing Static

Did some searching on the MSD's website and found on their technical support board I need to get a MSD 8830 Noise Filter. Placing this in between the battery and the power wire of the ignition box will take care of any noise problems. Ordered and should have it sometime this week. I'll check back to let everyone know how it goes.

http://www.msdignition.com/Products/...,_26_Kufd.aspx

Last edited by frederzick; 12-18-2011 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Hears a link to MSD for the filter
Old 12-20-2011, 04:55 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 91 Trans Am Convertible
Engine: LB9 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 5 SPD
Axle/Gears: Posi Rear

Glad you found a solution. When I read your first note a few days ago, I recalled that we used to use a capacitor somewhere in the electical system but I couldn't remember where or what size capacitor (suppressor). Last time I had that problem was in the early 70's with a standard ignition and an add-on FM radio in my '73 Lemans Sport Coupe!
Old 12-23-2011, 11:33 AM

Well the noise filter seemed to help, though it really matters as to where you position the box and route the wiring. I got it to get good reception again only do to the location of these components, but I couldn't leave them where they were due to the location of the wiring next to the exhaust manifold (almost had the wires melt together). The final piece of the puzzle is to replace the spark plug wires with spiral core or helically wound conductor to suppress EMI, I currently have a stock set of wires on the car and according to further research online they are acting as an antenna for RFI & EMI. Thankfully I was planning on replacing the wires anyway. I'll get back once this is done on further results.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:50 AM

Well, finally got the new Street Fire MSD Spiral Core wires installed. Also relocated the ignition box/noise filter to the driver side. I know have radio reception for the very, very local stations, when the car is running. Not sure if the distributor cap will make a difference, but the one I ordered had a broken center button that contact's the rotor, sent back to Jeg's for a replacement, waiting for that to come. Also, I'm not sure if the noise filter is working (wondering if there is a way to test it), my reason being is that when it was first put on I had great reception after relocating it and the box closer to the battery, it seemed to stop working. Anyone have any idea's if you can test these?
http://www.msdignition.com/Products/...,_26_Kufd.aspx
Old 01-11-2012, 02:20 PM

Well, I contacted MSD and the tech said there is a way of testing the noise filter with a meter, of course he didn't say how. Though, through process of elimination, will speaking with the tech, he pretty much came up with the same conclusion that I had, the noise filter is bad. Well I guess that's what you get for ordering from amazon.com from some off the wall company, named HOERR racing, I never heard them, but they had one for sale $20.00 less than I just picked it up for from Summit for. To add to things even more, I was rather skeptical that it wasn't used when it arrived, due to the packaging just popping right open. Now I'm going to see if I can find them on amazon and get a refund or something. I'll let you know if this finally does the trick.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:03 PM

They offered a refund and I sent the old one back. Now I got the new one from Summit put on only to have the same results, so apparently there wasn't anything wrong with the first one. Still have to replace the distributor cap (though I doubt that will fix it). I'm planning on changing how everything gets it's power and ground at the battery, so as to isolate everything onto there own. Probably won't be till spring as the weather here has turned pretty cold and I've put the car up for winter.