Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Replaced heater core, now no sound from speakers but deck still turns on.?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 02:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro
Engine: 5.0
Replaced heater core, now no sound from speakers but deck still turns on.?

Replaced a bad heater core in may car the other day, now sound doesn't come out of my speakers. When I turn my deck on I can hear a faint sound come from my speakers , as if juice are getting to them but that's it. When I drive and hit a bump etc, with my deck on, I can hear static sometimes come from the speakers. So I'm assuming when I was in the dash board replacing the heater core I bumped something loose. What could've happened to where my deck can still turn on but no sound is coming from my speakers. I really don't feel like taking the dash apart again, but when I do I want to know what I'm looking for. Any help is greatly appreciated.
((1992 Camaro RS without Bose))
Old 06-14-2013, 07:09 AM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 will be LSX eventually
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: Borg Warner
Re: Replaced heater core, now no sound from speakers but deck still turns on.?

I'd start small instead of taking the whole dash apart again, just take the deck out and verify everything is good to go and nothing got pulled out accidentally when you pulled the dash. A question I would have to ask is it the stock deck, or an aftermarket one? How about the rear speakers, you don't have to disconnect those to get to the heater core, any sound coming from them? If there isn't my guess would be that the power cable is attached to your deck, but the output to the speakers somehow got loose.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:23 AM

Car: 1992 Camaro
Engine: 5.0

Originally Posted by krazeefewl
I'd start small instead of taking the whole dash apart again, just take the deck out and verify everything is good to go and nothing got pulled out accidentally when you pulled the dash. A question I would have to ask is it the stock deck, or an aftermarket one? How about the rear speakers, you don't have to disconnect those to get to the heater core, any sound coming from them? If there isn't my guess would be that the power cable is attached to your deck, but the output to the speakers somehow got loose.

Its an after market pioneer deck, I did pull out the deck to see if everything was still connected and it was. And nope the rear 6x9s have no sound either... Just a little static comes from the rear right and the front right speaker when I'm driving and would hit a little bump or something. Speakers aren't blown cause I was just listening to music the day before, and how they all just stopped working / coming on at the same time makes me believe something was knocked loose.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '90 Formula 350
Engine: 383 SBC
Transmission: ProBuilt S/S 700-R4 & ACT 9" Stall
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.23

I would say wiring issue. Aftermarket wiring harness need to be checked at both the connection on the Head Unit and the where they splice into the OEM harness. My guess is you have a bad connection on the wire splice.