Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Double Din Conversion w/ tutorial

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 12:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Double Din Conversion w/ tutorial

I was finally able to do something that I've been really wanting for some years now. A double din deck

Here are some pictures of how it looks, overall not too bad of a job to do yourself.

Now I need to put the car back together!

I've written a tutorial on how to modify the bezel
Old 11-28-2014, 04:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 camaro rs convertable
Engine: 305 tbi
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 7.5"3.42 gears forth gen 2000 camar
Re: Double Din Conversion w/ tutorial

I read the tutorial.I'd never be able to do that good of job.someone needs to sell these and I don't mean the ones that look like they are covered with vinyl.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:37 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by zenish
I read the tutorial.I'd never be able to do that good of job.someone needs to sell these and I don't mean the ones that look like they are covered with vinyl.
Glad you like it!
You should give it a try, you might surprise yourself. It takes a little time, but the difficulty level isn't all that high. If you get a extra bezel to work on, you really have nothing to lose.

I agree the Double D ones I saw looked terrible, that's what made me decide to just do it myself.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Car: '83 trans am Lear Siegler
Transmission: 700r4

I've been looking over the weekend at double din units to do just that over the weekend. What unit did you buy, and how do you like it? I see that there are many different size screens for tighter fit applications, so I was wondering how big it can be.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:20 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by petrolhead
I've been looking over the weekend at double din units to do just that over the weekend. What unit did you buy, and how do you like it? I see that there are many different size screens for tighter fit applications, so I was wondering how big it can be.
I purchased a used Kenwood DDX470, since I wasn't sure how this project was going to turn out, so didn't want to spend a ton of money on it.

It's an OK deck, allows me to stream Pandora from the phone and has 4v preouts.

Someday I'll upgrade to a better model.

As for size, all double dins should be the same physical dimensions. The ones with the larger screens, usually have less buttons and bezels around them.

I'm more waiting on the mechless units to start making appearances. I don't really need a CD anymore. So those will really make installing easier, since you won't have to fight with the depth issue any longer. I'm also hoping that means the price comes down some since there is less pieces to the units.