DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

16197427 conversion to MAF

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
16197427 conversion to MAF

Hey Guys,

1. I've searched high and low, and come up dry on a parts list for the maf conversion, could someone shed a little light on some links or search terms? (Besides Fast355's news that it works, i do have the knowledge inside that post). There is no MAF pin on the 7427 harness pinout I have from DIY-EFI?

Parts List So Far:

- MAF (Fast355 used the 5.3l v8 one, so it obviously works)
- stock 5.3 MAF tables, except to put 5 gms/sec in the lowest cell
- Pigtail from GM (The number is floating in cyberspace by fast somewhere, but it's no real matter).
- Necessary ducting for your application

2. Secondly, I'm converting FROM a 1227747, from which i have found an excel sheet with the pinouts FROM 7747 TO 7427. What's the best way to repin to the newer harness (There again, i may just need help with some search terms, im sure you guys may have had tutorials). I have intermediate skills in soldering, therefore should I get a pigtail of the newer ecu's harness + it's ECU, and solder in the correct sensors from the old pigtail in? (if there are tools and such to repin, i guess i need a link)

I've been around the scene for about a year, and do understand what you guys are talking about 60% of the time (afterall i don't think any of us know everything those GM engineers added in!).

I have a 1988 Chevy Silverado SBSC 4.3 converted to 5.7 w/100k. 5.7 is in the process of getting gasket matched and re-gasketed(Exhaust, Intake, TB 2". It will be 100% stock except for header-back exhaust for now until i learn to properly tune that. I have a holley 2" tb, that I plan on running 454 pod +spacer, and I have a cf tech aluminum tb spacer along with vortec heads, zz4 cam, and gmpp manifold that will go on methodically later down the road.

I still have a lot of learning to do, but figured i'd say hey over here, and im sorry it's so long. Lemme know if you guys need cliff notes next time.

EDIT: I have a manual 5 speed right now, but will convert to 6 speed EVENTUALLY. (I noticed this may matter because Fast mentioned in the scannerpro post that one of his ADS files were only for the 94-95 AUTOMATICS. Thanks!

Those smileys are suppose to be on the next paragraph above, but in edit mode you can't change the smiles. sry!
- B

Edit @ 11:37pm: Repinning your ECU HOW TO (i knew someone did one) https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-...nning-how.html

Last edited by 1badz71tahoe; 02-13-2007 at 10:38 PM.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro SC
Engine: SFI'd 350
Transmission: TKO 500
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt w/ 3.23's
The only other thing you should also need is a bonnet for the TBI. The ductwork should have no straight runs of pipe or itll resonate and cause major issues (found this out the hard way). Use an airbox and some flex duct for a truck or car.

If your using the GMPP TBI manifold, then ignore this:
Also, Im going to be testing out reading the manifold temps in directly for the AE/decel enlean routines https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tbi/407850-had-ae.html . The manifold temp is CRITICAL for accel enrich and decel enlean. The stock code gives no consideration to this as the stock manifold is fully heated. With an aftermarket manifold, theres no coolant to regulate the temperature, so the AE is uncompensated due to the manifold heating and cooling, and this makes driving a stick a real problem as itll either be pig rich or dead lean on tip-in or throttle lift. Ive modified a vortec air-gap manifold to accept a temperature sensor, so itll provide compensation and work properly. So you may want to get an airgap and convert over if this proves to be a sucessful mod.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by dimented24x7
The only other thing you should also need is a bonnet for the TBI. The ductwork should have no straight runs of pipe or itll resonate and cause major issues (found this out the hard way). Use an airbox and some flex duct for a truck or car.

If your using the GMPP TBI manifold, then ignore this:
Also, Im going to be testing out reading the manifold temps in directly for the AE/decel enlean routines https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tbi/407850-had-ae.html . The manifold temp is CRITICAL for accel enrich and decel enlean. The stock code gives no consideration to this as the stock manifold is fully heated. With an aftermarket manifold, theres no coolant to regulate the temperature, so the AE is uncompensated due to the manifold heating and cooling, and this makes driving a stick a real problem as itll either be pig rich or dead lean on tip-in or throttle lift. Ive modified a vortec air-gap manifold to accept a temperature sensor, so itll provide compensation and work properly. So you may want to get an airgap and convert over if this proves to be a sucessful mod.
I'm going to gasket match the stock manifold and bore it over 2" on the top side, but keep all the mods mentioned except for exhaust until the truck is settled in, in stock form. Therefore I will definately continue to keep my eye on the above post. Fast mentioned that he was going to take a look at the post later on, so im going to continue reading to try and answer a few more questions surrounding the topic. .

I think you guys are headed in the right direction (7427), therefore i'm going to jump aboard to lend a hand. Thanks again for all your guys' work (Dimented, Fast, Haulin, too many to list)

- B
Old 02-15-2007, 08:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 389 Likes on 332 Posts
Car: 1983 G20 Chevy
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 14 bolt with 3.07 gears
Originally Posted by 1badz71tahoe
Hey Guys,

1. I've searched high and low, and come up dry on a parts list for the maf conversion, could someone shed a little light on some links or search terms? (Besides Fast355's news that it works, i do have the knowledge inside that post). There is no MAF pin on the 7427 harness pinout I have from DIY-EFI?

Parts List So Far:

- MAF (Fast355 used the 5.3l v8 one, so it obviously works)
- stock 5.3 MAF tables, except to put 5 gms/sec in the lowest cell
- Pigtail from GM (The number is floating in cyberspace by fast somewhere, but it's no real matter).
- Necessary ducting for your application

2. Secondly, I'm converting FROM a 1227747, from which i have found an excel sheet with the pinouts FROM 7747 TO 7427. What's the best way to repin to the newer harness (There again, i may just need help with some search terms, im sure you guys may have had tutorials). I have intermediate skills in soldering, therefore should I get a pigtail of the newer ecu's harness + it's ECU, and solder in the correct sensors from the old pigtail in? (if there are tools and such to repin, i guess i need a link)

I've been around the scene for about a year, and do understand what you guys are talking about 60% of the time (afterall i don't think any of us know everything those GM engineers added in!).

I have a 1988 Chevy Silverado SBSC 4.3 converted to 5.7 w/100k. 5.7 is in the process of getting gasket matched and re-gasketed(Exhaust, Intake, TB 2". It will be 100% stock except for header-back exhaust for now until i learn to properly tune that. I have a holley 2" tb, that I plan on running 454 pod +spacer, and I have a cf tech aluminum tb spacer along with vortec heads, zz4 cam, and gmpp manifold that will go on methodically later down the road.

I still have a lot of learning to do, but figured i'd say hey over here, and im sorry it's so long. Lemme know if you guys need cliff notes next time.

EDIT: I have a manual 5 speed right now, but will convert to 6 speed EVENTUALLY. (I noticed this may matter because Fast mentioned in the scannerpro post that one of his ADS files were only for the 94-95 AUTOMATICS. Thanks!

Those smileys are suppose to be on the next paragraph above, but in edit mode you can't change the smiles. sry!
- B

Edit @ 11:37pm: Repinning your ECU HOW TO (i knew someone did one) https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-...nning-how.html
I was going to look over this thread and now I have. Just been pretty busy to post the long reply this is going to take.

I take it you have already read over my two threads showing everything.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tbi/...6197427-a.html

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tbi/...i-zz4-cam.html

Read over this thread as well, another member was in the same position as yourself with the research. I have not heard if he has completed the conversion or not.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tbi/...swap-list.html

Repinning is not that bad at all. In about 45 minutes, I had my van running on the PCM. Just take your time. I ran my van on the PCM itself, without the MAF sensor for a couple of weeks, then converted MAF. You will also need to jumper the Black and blue wires togather on the ESC module harness and eliminate the ESC module. The knock sensor needs to be changed to the equivalent 1993-1996 TBI sensor.

The P/N switch connector gets connected to the Range 3 (Pin E5) input, IIRC.

The Purple "START" connection that is on the 7747 needs to be taped up and put to the side as it is not used with the PCM.

My 5 wire MAF sensor from the 5.3 had an Intake Air Temperature sensor built into it. I hooked it up to the PCM the same way the MAT would be wired on a CPI 4.3 then enabled all the MAT stuff, using the stock calibrations from the CPI 4.3.

Setting up the bin for a standard transmission is not that difficult and Dimented's bin is setup properly for a manual transmission.

In addition to the actual PCM setup, you will need the chip burning equipment, the memcal adapter, the flash chips, and a Moates Burn 1.

The MAF signal actually gets inputed into the Transmission Output Shaft speed sensor pin on the PCM.

On a side note, make for sure that you get the latest version of the code from Dimented before attempting this. The new code sync's the MAF sensor reads with the distributer reference pulse and gives a better more accurate read.

Last edited by Fast355; 02-15-2007 at 08:36 PM.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:28 AM

Wow fast, thanks. Luckily I have been reading over all three of the aforementioned posts, I found them a couple days after we talked there on the TBI forums. I thought, hmph instead of searching MAF on DIY-PROM, maybe there's something on TBI. VOILA!

The only real hairy thing to me at the moment is the actual integration of the MAF, since the ecu's weren't designed for them, but I am sure you guys have it hiding on the boards here somewhere, i'm trying to read as much as I can over and over. Obviously Dimented has used lots and lots of work integrating the code from the MAF equipped vehicles to make it run. I can't begin to tell you how much we all appreciate your code deciphering ability!

The beginning of this week I have been collaborating all of ECMGUY's stuff into an e-book with all of his formula javascripts from his page intact. I'm still unsure of a stable HTML based E-Book application so I can begin to collaborate some work on here, and eventually open up a domain to share all of my DIY articles + get you guys all involved.

I have an IBM Thinkpad t41, with a fullsize docking station. I plan to run an LCD screen 8 inches wide by 5 inches tall maybe, in replacement of all the stock gauges in my silvy. This can plug into the DVI in on my docking station, and be ran as a 2nd monitor with just ScannerPro on it! Ostrich and a ZIF will do the memory storage for me.

All I have to say is TGIF, so I can focus on this a little more, i've been all out on the weekdays.

Take Care Guys,

- B
Old 02-16-2007, 10:34 AM
Supreme Member

The only real hairy thing to me at the moment is the actual integration of the MAF, since the ecu's weren't designed for them, but I am sure you guys have it hiding on the boards here somewhere, i'm trying to read as much as I can over and over. Obviously Dimented has used lots and lots of work integrating the code from the MAF equipped vehicles to make it run. I can't begin to tell you how much we all appreciate your code deciphering ability!
Theres not much integration needed. Plug the signal wire into the TOS input, load the code into the prom, and turn the key. All the MAF needs is switched power, a signal wire, and a gound between it and the ECM. The ground is important, as if there is a bias or excess resistance, the input in the PCM may not trigger.

I wish I remembered more about the details of wiring the PCM up. I just wired it up on the fly and didnt take notes. Wish I had at the time. Luckily, Fast remembers...
Old 02-16-2007, 04:14 PM

Theres not much integration needed. Plug the signal wire into the TOS input, load the code into the prom, and turn the key. All the MAF needs is switched power, a signal wire, and a gound between it and the ECM. The ground is important, as if there is a bias or excess resistance, the input in the PCM may not trigger.

I wish I remembered more about the details of wiring the PCM up. I just wired it up on the fly and didnt take notes. Wish I had at the time. Luckily, Fast remembers...
What you gave me, will be enough for me to gather some info, and i'll get a final pinout for everyone once mine is done. (From the 7477 at least)

I'm going to start working on an excel sheet, I have most of the pinouts figured out, along with wire color to and fro each ecu. I'll post progress into the weekend.

- B
Old 02-16-2007, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by fast355
The MAF signal actually gets inputed into the Transmission Output Shaft speed sensor pin on the PCM.
Plug the signal wire into the TOS input, load the code into the prom, and turn the key.
It clicked.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:03 PM
Supreme Member

For the wiring, what I did was to print out the pinouts from the service manual for the trucks that came with teh PCM and one for the f-body and matched teh cooresponding pins up. IIRC, fast posted this as a hand-written page in his thread.

Also, make sure you repin and not cut the ECMs connectors. Im sure you already have them, but if not, RosesandWrenches.com carries the connectors as well as extra pins if you need them. You will also need a very small precision screw driver to get the pins out. That part is somewhat hard, and you have to be careful you dont damage the tang, or the pin will have to be forcefully removed and replaced. Ill post a pic of what the pin looks like to make it a little easier to get them out for the first time. For the MAF connection, you will also need a crimper for the pin. I think Poop-Boys used to carry these. If not, you can either shell out the money and order a set from an electronics store (60+ dollars for some, outch!) or cut an unused wire and use that for the MAF signal.

Last edited by dimented24x7; 02-16-2007 at 08:26 PM.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:18 PM
Supreme Member

Heres a way closeup of one of the pins. Push the little tab down, and the pin in the ECM connector will slide out.
Attached Thumbnails 16197427 conversion to MAF-dsc00156.jpg  
Old 02-16-2007, 08:22 PM
Supreme Member

What you gave me, will be enough for me to gather some info, and i'll get a final pinout for everyone once mine is done. (From the 7477 at least)
Also, dont hesitate to ask questions. Your not imposing on us or anything like that. Its just that I dont always remember to post all the needed details sometimes.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:44 PM

Also, dont hesitate to ask questions. Your not imposing on us or anything like that. Its just that I dont always remember to post all the needed details sometimes.
Wow, thanks for all of that information on the pin assembly/use. Here is what I have thus far with that excel sheet. I have copied info from other places, so of course I claim none of this information as mine. It's all been compiled and organized more thoughtfully according to me.

I will also copy and paste in pics from the service manuals of the pins and how to read them, and of course a few other tid bids, but it's a good start. If anyone gets a chance to check some stuff for accuracy, or has ANYTHING additional please chime in!

- B
Attached Files
Old 02-16-2007, 08:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 389 Likes on 332 Posts
Car: 1983 G20 Chevy
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 14 bolt with 3.07 gears

Very much so. Not only do I forget to post some details, what I see as basic knowlede, you may not comprehend or understand.

Definately repin the harness though. I think in my PCM Conversion thread I even have a picture of the small precision screwdriver inserted into the correct slot to release the pins.

I'll see if I can find my handwritten conversion chart, it is easier to read than the one you have linked too. Fire up the flat-bed scanner and post it up for you. I have the information somewhere, just not right on hand. I also have part numbers, etc.

Old 02-16-2007, 08:54 PM

Also, make sure you repin and not cut the ECMs connectors. Im sure you already have them, but if not, RosesandWrenches.com carries the connectors as well as extra pins if you need them.
Anywhere on the site I click, brings me to abcbanners.com. Is the site currently under construction?

Originally Posted by Fast355
I'll see if I can find my handwritten conversion chart, it is easier to read than the one you have linked too. Fire up the flat-bed scanner and post it up for you. I have the information somewhere, just not right on hand. I also have part numbers, etc.
Thanks fast, i will make sure to try and let you guys know when you need to elaborate a little more. I would love to see any conversion charts, and or notes you have too, so we can compile some knowledge together.

Thanks again for all the information you guys!

- B

Last edited by 1badz71tahoe; 02-16-2007 at 09:02 PM.
Old 02-17-2007, 02:30 PM
Supreme Member

Anywhere on the site I click, brings me to abcbanners.com. Is the site currently under construction?
I tried it, and the site appears to be working. It doesnt look like much, but if you scroll down to the wrenches section, youll see the link for the connectors.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:11 PM

I tried it, and the site appears to be working. It doesnt look like much, but if you scroll down to the wrenches section, youll see the link for the connectors.
I see it now, i'll have to get a couple spares. Thanks!

On a bunny trail: The 2-3 finally went in my 91 Ex Cab's 700r4. I managed to get a fresh rebuild about 10k ago in a 100k work truck i am gutting out. Went to carquest and got a new filter and fluid, along with the torque converter seal just for good measure; the work truck had a new pan and (prolly reman) converter. I got just shy of 150k out of the original, so I cannot complain. All i have remaining are the transfer case bolts (4), and it will be out. The new to me is all prepped sitting on the bench.

That will probably consume the rest of the weekend, as im now in for the night to do some more tuning studying. So we'll kick it back on track, and i'll try to do an update later with some more info related to 7427 and MAF!

- B
Old 02-18-2007, 11:18 PM
Supreme Member

BTW, do you still have emmissions? The MAF code doesnt support the EGR or CCP. The EGR output was converted over to control a cool fan and all the code for the EGR and CCP is gone.

I also found my pinout diagrams. Ill see if I can scan them in at some point and post them.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:26 AM

BTW, do you still have emmissions? The MAF code doesnt support the EGR or CCP. The EGR output was converted over to control a cool fan and all the code for the EGR and CCP is gone.

I also found my pinout diagrams. Ill see if I can scan them in at some point and post them.
I was planning on keeping all my emissions, however if I can control a fan through the ECU now, and get rid of EGR, i'm all for that!

The CCP has already been removed from the truck, as i'm plumbing up a fuel cell that i'm mounting in the rear of the frame.

No worries!

- B
Old 05-10-2007, 10:49 PM

Re: 16197427 conversion to MAF

Hey Guys,

I know it's somewhere here on thirdgen, but what other ECU's are compatible with the 0d mask? 16197427, and what else? I'd like to plug them all in on ebay and get the best bang for the buck on a few. Thanks!

- B
Old 05-11-2007, 12:08 AM
Supreme Member

Re: 16197427 conversion to MAF

See the "TBI guys, its time to update!" thread.

BTW, PM me with your email, and Ill send the pinouts over. The PDFs are too large to post.