Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Sub Woofer Question/Advice for my Daughters 85 z28

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 z-28
Engine: 305 5.0 LG4
Transmission: 700r4
Sub Woofer Question/Advice for my Daughters 85 z28

Long story short... I bought a new-to-me 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, recently. As part of the deal the guy included Kicker Speakers and a Kicker powered Sub. I'm using the speakers in the Jeep, but not the powered sub. My Jeep has/had the infinity stereo and already had provisions for factory sub (previous owner removed it). I got a sub from a friend and didn't need the Kicker Sub.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_20611HS8/Kicker-11HS8.html

I will be using this sub.
I'm not looking to buy additional stuff.

So, I am planning on installing it where the spare tire should be. I'm thinking it would be neat and tidy and out of the way.
Originally, I thought about installing it on the package shelf, but since she's a kid, I figure she'd end up banging it or putting something over it.
Also, out of sight is better.

I know this is not going to rattle the world, but it will fill in some lows.

Thoughts about the install?
Should I go ahead and put some sort of hush matt type material in the well?
Power wire in car or under car?
Should be enough "space" to keep amp cool? Right????? There is nothing in the wheel well...

this is the head unit in the car.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_068NEWP...t.html?tp=5684

It does have sub outs.
I have the Kicker connectors that converts the line out to RCA. Then she'll have some control from head unit.

As far as speakers, Sony 4x6 with bass blockers and a set of Sound Ordinance 6x9 (Crutchfield Brand), no external amp.
It actually sounds better than I remember my 87 Formula, from back in the day....

I just want to fill, not BOOM.