Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Rear Seat Speaker Setup?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 01:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1984 Chevy Camaro
Engine: 2.8L V6
Transmission: THM 700R4
Rear Seat Speaker Setup?

So I am looking to set up new 6x9 speakers into the back panels of my 84 camaro. The previous owner cut through the sail panels to expose the speakers/grill for his mediocre set, and I have a stylish set I'd like to mount there. The issue is: how do I do it? The bracket is recessed behind the plastic trim panel the sail panel mounts on to, so I feel if I were to bolt the speaker directly to it, it would be deep back in the hole and would not be visible at all, not to mention look trashy. I want to mount the speaker in a method thatll leave it flush with the sail panel, without it rattling all over the place. Should I build a custom extension to mount to the existing bracket? I'm just not sure where to begin really.

Last edited by Aerizanthar; 03-25-2017 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 03-26-2017, 04:24 AM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z Camaro
Engine: TBI,5.0
Transmission: Automatic 700R4
Axle/Gears: Eaton Posi,3.42,LPW Ultimate Cover
Re: Rear Seat Speaker Setup?

So when I wanted to mount my door speakers flush with the door panel I cut the hole and drilled four holes where the speaker holes were then slipped these clips on to the holes in the steel door panel.

The clips allow for a nice tight byte for the screws and hold the speaker firmly. I have never had a rattle of any kind. The cover does protrude some but the window handle just misses it.

I was given a really nice set of 6x9 two way Pioneer speakers by my Grand Mother so even though the magnet was large and to deep to hide them, I installed them anyway. I used the same process with the clips. No rattle.

There solid and I will tell you this much,the combination of those speakers sounds beyond great with my classic rock.
Here's the clip and can be found in the "Help" section of any auto parts store.

Last edited by Ron U.S.M.C.; 03-30-2017 at 02:49 AM.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1984 Chevy Camaro
Engine: 2.8L V6
Transmission: THM 700R4

Tell ya what that looks excellent. Are those sail panels in the rear after market? I had flimsy cardboard with cloth on them so i threw them out. I would like to get a nice pair to use personally, something that has a little bit of give but not very much. The rear speakers on yours look exactly like what i want to accomplish.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 3.1 V6
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: No idea

I think its just a "custom" sail panel. my sail panels are plastic (http://www.classicindustries.com/pro...ts/825400.html) so you could probably get some of these, cover them with vinyl and cut the rest of the plastic so it fits over the speaker.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/inte...il-panels.html
Old 03-30-2017, 03:00 AM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z Camaro
Engine: TBI,5.0
Transmission: Automatic 700R4
Axle/Gears: Eaton Posi,3.42,LPW Ultimate Cover

That's basically exactly what I did.
I recovered a set of old sail panels I found at pick in pull with black vinyl from a fabric store. Matches the door panels.
Then I also recovered a head liner I also found there. I like the black and gray interior combination.

I can tell you this. If you ever use spray adhesive like I did with my head liner you must have a perfectly smooth surface because its very unforgiving and shows any little bump.

Last edited by Ron U.S.M.C.; 03-30-2017 at 03:09 AM.