Factory radio is very quiet - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Factory radio is very quiet

Old 08-08-2018, 04:28 PM   #1  

Car: 1988 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: 5.0L LB9
Transmission: 700r4

Factory radio is very quiet

Hey all,

I recently picked up a 1988 IROC-Z from a guy who was moving out of town. He had a CD player installed and informed me of the factory radio being left in the trunk. I installed it, and the radio seems to work fine, but the speakers are really, really quiet, but worked fine before. The speakers are stock. It's a DelcoBOSE, and I'm unsure whether this is an amp issue or if these units use an external amp unit. Additionally, there's a peculiar click sound coming from under the dash when the unit is turned on. I've looked around for solutions, but I'm either a complete dolt, or this kind of stuff is pretty obscure. Does anybody have any pointers?

Thanks.

Last edited by Skulltrail; 08-08-2018 at 08:29 PM.
Skulltrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:51 PM   #2  
Supreme Member

Car: 1984 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.11 LS1 Rear End

Re: Factory radio is very quiet

A BOSE radio is different than a factory Delco or any aftermarket head-unit. It's possible the previous owner removed the BOSE system and installed an aftermarket system in it's place. The output from a BOSE head unit isn't amplified until it reaches each individual AMP that's mounted along with each individual speaker. (each speaker has it's own AMP). Conventional radios amplify the speaker output using AMP chips inside the radio.

What kinda' speakers do you have ??

John in RI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:16 PM   #3  

I'm not entirely sure what sort of setup he was going after, but it seems like the speakers are the stock DelcoBOSE speakers that came with the factory DelcoBOSE radio. Effectively, he bought a new head unit, but not any new speakers. I'm assuming the amps are still present in the speakers, if what you're saying is true. Makes the cause of this even more inconspicuous... But, if the DelcoBOSE unit relies on an external amp to do all the intensity work, perhaps purchasing an amp would do the trick?

I don't know anything about car stereos, lmao.

Last edited by Skulltrail; 08-09-2018 at 11:21 PM.
Old 08-11-2018, 01:36 PM   #4  
Supreme Member

I've never used an aftermarket AMP with BOSE,... so I'm not going to be much help in with that.

I'm GUESSING that the click you hear when the radio is turned on is from the BOSE relay or possibly a power antenna relay.

Here's something you can check into; You said that the speakers were still factory BOSE speakers...... That means 2 in the rear hatch SUB-Box and 2 in the front kick panels. Each speaker should have an AMP mounted along with it. The factory BOSE harness plug will have 4 wires. 2 are speaker wires, then there is 1 ground wire and 1 power wire. Probe Each plug and check for Power (ORANGE wire) and check for good ground ( BLACK wire). It's possible that the BOSE relay has failed ( or hacked ) and is not providing power to the factory BOSE AMPs.

Old 08-12-2018, 03:35 PM   #5  

I think you may have just solved my problem! I checked for both power and ground on the BOSE relay and I'm not getting any ground or power. That means it's likely the BOSE relay was detached when the aftermarket head unit was installed, which makes complete sense! I'll work on reattaching it and see if that fixes my problem and report back here with results. Thanks a ton!
Old 08-13-2018, 12:44 PM   #6  
Supreme Member

No sweat dude,....... I hope that it's an easy fix for Ya' !! Cruising in a new-to-you IROC-Z just ain't the same without tunes !!!