Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

can I get this Q-jet synched up without rebuilding first??

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2001, 03:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1999 Chevy Cavalier
Engine: 2.2
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: it's part of the transmission
can I get this Q-jet synched up without rebuilding first??

so far I have installed a junkyard CCQ-jet onto my 305 HO (L69) engine. the engine was running perfectly fine before the car got stolen. when the car was recovered,the original Q-jet was missing,along with all the surounding conections cut....what a pita!! now I'm not going to mention any names,but it's obvious who actually took the carb when the lower gasket was sitting square on top of the intake when I got it out the impound.......anyways...I have to fix my car before I ride to D.C. and look for my rim & tire again,...I bought a CCQ-jet from the JY and was to hasty to research the #s and look for the exact one for the L69. the one I ended up with is the exact same configuration as the original and thankfully somewhat of a ballpark match. after looking up the #s at carbsunlimited.com ,I found that 17085204 is a CC Qaudrojet,BOP '81-'85 blue sol.,TPS ,auto ,I don't have a clue what BOP stands for,but I'm sure blu sol. is the M/C and TPS and auto trans. and it was manufactured in '85 (I'm working with an '84 T/A)....so it seems so far that even if I've got the wrong carb,it's not too far off from the correct piece. I'm still not certain exactly what engine this came from either,it could've been a truck,car 350,L69,LG4..I'm not sure if it's even the same cfm as the original (650cfm) it could be any size,but the underside,primaries and secondaries didn't look too much different from the old one. the carb is installed with everything but the A/C idle sol. & EGR vacc. connected (it's capped off),I tightened the hold down bolts as tight as I felt comfortable with (wrist tight) in a criss-cross pattern. the engine fires right up and runs smooth,no smoke or backfire however the idle is high (1k-2.5k) or somtimes stalls,the M/C "clicks" when the ignition is set to ACC position,so I'm assuming that's working. the car accelerates ok,and shifts good,but the chambers are getting way too hot,too soon!! I talked to my friend last night and he mentioned that I may have overlooked a BIG vaccume leak!! I would agree because I thought I was very careful about that,but didn't go over the basics like spraying the gaskets and covering the primary with my hand. I'm almost certain that I've overlooked a vaccume leak and I will get that taken care of,but that can't be my only problem. the idle speed screw is backed all the way off,the two plugs are still in the lower air horn (mixture adjustments if I'm not mistaken),how else can I sync in this carb with out having to rebuild it? I'll rebuild it after I get it to run on my engine. the engine has 11k miles on it so I'm sure thats ok. I'd like to do this by ear as best I can,until I get the right equipment. sorry such a long rambling post,thanks for reading,any input is apreaciated and even if I don't get the answers I'm looking for,the important thing is that we've all learned something and contributed as well. thanks, 'Jimmy
Old 12-13-2001, 04:50 PM
Supreme Member

I dont know if it is so in this case but I believe BOP stands for buick olds pontiac. I dont know specifics about the differences or whatnot but I am sure somone else knows more and can help you.

Ben
Old 12-13-2001, 06:09 PM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
I believe BOP linkages had differences from Chevy, so watch your TV cable especially. If you have T5, never mind.

At least one other person has posted about having such a carb and it appeared to operate fine for him.

------------------
82 Berlinetta, orig V-6 car, now w/86 LG4/TH700R4, 2300 stall TC. Ported World 305 heads, Crane PowerMax 2050 cam. ZZ3/4 intake, oil pump, pan & baffle. Accel HEI SuperCoil & module. Hooker 2055 headers, 3" Catco cat & 3" catback w/dual-opposite Flowmaster 80. 2.93 limited slip. Spohn SFCs waiting to be installed. AMSOIL syn lubes bumper-to-bumper. Daily year-round driver. Best ET, speed TBD...
57 Bel Air, my 1st car. '66 396, 9.7:1 forged TRWs, Weiand Action+, Holley 750VS w/4150 conversion, GK 270 cam, Magnum rockers, Jacobs Omnipack, 1-3/4" Hedders & 3" Warlocks, TH400 w/TCI Sat Night Special conv & Trans-Scat shift kit, MegaShifter, 3.08 8.2" 10-bolt w/Powertrax, AMSOIL syn lubes bumper-to-bumper. Idles smooth @ 700 RPM in D. Best 15.02/95.06 @ 5800' Bandimere (corrected 13.93/102.4 @ sea level).
Old 12-14-2001, 10:50 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1999 Pontiac T/A Firehawk
Engine: ***'s Engine
Transmission: T56
BOP is, as mentioned, Buick-Olds-Pontiac. Typically the fuel line on BOP Qjets came sraight out the front instead of making a 90* turn for the passenger's side.

Also, I believe that all CCC Qjets are the same cfm, and share many of the same castings (I have yet to see any E4ME that doesn't use the same part number for the air horn and throttle body, for example). I don't believe there are ANY differences between the primary side on any of the E4MEs, and I wouldn't be surprised if they were all functionally identical fueling wise (minus the secondary rods and hangars, of course). But take that with a grain of salt .

[This message has been edited by 99Hawk120 (edited December 14, 2001).]
Old 12-18-2001, 11:28 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1999 Chevy Cavalier
Engine: 2.2
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: it's part of the transmission
thanks for the feedback

it sounds like the carb I have will work fine. it starts and runs,so that's a good start. I can't believe you guys read all the way through that!! I should've kept it simple,now that I'm more confident in having the correct Q-jet. the only possible differences could be the jets & ofcourse minor tuning.

WHO CAN ANSWER THIS Q? : can a carburetor problem cause eratic idle and overheating of the heads causing the coolant to boil over early?? (the cooling system is full & working fine)

if so,what would the problem(s) most likely be??