Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

quadrajet..advantages of non-cc vs. cc?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2003, 03:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '86 Z28
Engine: 305 LG4
Transmission: 700-R4
quadrajet..advantages of non-cc vs. cc?

i just found out that my quadrajet is CC'ed, so what are the big advantages of taking out the computer?

is there a site that'll show you how to take out the computer?
Old 10-25-2003, 01:20 PM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
The biggest advantage of taking out the computer is spending money to get a non-computer-controlled carb, distributor & EGR valve (assuming you retain that part) and rigging up some means to lock up the torque converter clutch. You will also get a constantly-on SES light until you take the dash apart to remove the bulb. You can look forward to reduced fuel economy and most likely, reduced driveability (at least until you get the tuning/adjustment of the non-CC carb figured out). Other benefits include no improvement in power, loss of knock sensor function, loss of automatic adjustment with changing ambient conditions, increased emissions, and a vehicle that violates federal law.

Please note the modifications in the sig below (and the tongue firmly implanted in cheek above). You will not see any reference to removal of the computer as part of the mods, because it's still there and doing just fine, thank you. Also note that I also have a non-CC carb vehicle in the stables (there is another not included in the sig). I can also say that my carb experience started a couple of decades before my first CC & EFI exposure.
Old 10-25-2003, 05:27 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 84 Trans Am
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
five7kid is right. you should listen to him. i really prefer the non-computer qjet on my car (it came with it from the factory cause i live in Canada). but in your case their is really no reason to take the computer out. if you had all the parts you need, and you didnt have to buy anything and you know how to properly eliminate the computer and lock up the TC, then i guess you could do it, but again, alot of work for little or no gain. i like the simplicity of having no computer, but my car is also heavily modded.

all in all, just leave it alone until you get a nicely built 350+ cube motor and its time for a holley DP. that is when this mod will be worthwhile...until then enjoy the decent gas milage.
Old 10-25-2003, 10:46 PM
SSC
Supreme Member

Car: No more birdy
If its working fine dont bother. If its a hacked up mess like mine was then try to fix it first. I worked for a couple days trying to get my nightmare to work right, failed riped the computer out lit it on fire and danced naked around its burning components.
If it did work right I'd probably still be using it today.
Old 10-27-2003, 05:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
five7kid - I think you are making some very broad statements. Sure the CC QJet might operate better on a stock application. But what about more radical combos? That's not a rarity around here The carb/ECM doesnt allow much in the way of cam selection. And the distributor/ECM that you are required to run is horrible. The timing advance is almost non-existant.

I want to tear out my computer and switch to non CC QJet and a standard HEI upon my head install. Can you convince me to keep the CC system with the mods in the sig and the addition of AFR 195 heads? The cam specs at .487/.490 230*/236* 110*LSA I'd like to keep the CC but I don't know how to overcome the timing and carb primary limitations...

BTW - the car is considerably faster with a rebuilt untouched junkyard QJet and HEI.

Last edited by Marc 85Z28; 10-27-2003 at 05:26 PM.
Old 10-27-2003, 05:54 PM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
If the car is subject to emissions inspection and/or testing, and is a daily or regular street driver, then I'll stand by my statements.

If you can throw caution to the wind with regard to emissions, and don't care about fuel economy, then your route is fine. But, I don't know if I'd choose a q-jet if I was going non-CC.

Comp & Crane have done a lot of work in the computer controlled arena. They've got a pretty good idea how to keep the computer happy with some fairly high duration & lift specs. Jet can help you with a chip. May not produce the peak HP that your proposed package would, but the area under the curve would probably be pretty close.