Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

accelerator pump malfunction?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 camaro possibly
Engine: 2.8 possibly going to 3.4
Transmission: auto
accelerator pump malfunction?

82 camaro 2.8 carbed. Car idles great and runs good, only problem is slight hesitation when you first give it gas and if you get out of the car and five minutes later get back in it will start for a second then instantly die and the only way to get it to start up again is to floor it until it does start which is only a couple of seconds. Here's the thing, when the car is off and you move the throttle by hand and look inside the car there is no fuel that sprays. When you pump it there is kind of an air getting by sound from the accelerator pump. I thought there should be fuel squirting when you move the throttle. Does this just sound like a bad accelerator pump plunger?
Old 11-26-2004, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro SC
Engine: LG4 305
Transmission: TH700R4
It sounds to me like a faulty accelerator pump like you are thinking. The only thing that throws me off a little is the fact that you have to hold the throttle to the floor sometimes when restarting the car. That could be a seperate issue though, possibly too high a float level. I would definately look further into the accelerator pump because like you mentioned, there should be a spray of fuel in the primary venturi's when moving the throttle with the engine off.