Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

Adjusting idle mixture on CCC QJet - interplay between idle screws and idle air bleed

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 12:51 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 2000 BMW M5
Adjusting idle mixture on CCC QJet - interplay between idle screws and idle air bleed

Hi guys I have my CCC Qjeted 305 roller motor running in my 1983 Firebird. The longblock is a 305 TPI motor but I have equipped it with all electronics and emissions equipment for an 83 CCC Qjeted car. I have the car running, timed properly, and I have been reading the mixture solenoid dwell using a dwell meter on 6 cylinder scale. The carb is a fresh rebuild that I just did. I have a lot of experience rebuilding carbs including Quadrajets, but this is my first CCC Qjet. The carb is from an 83 305 Caprice. I have the idle screws accessible if they need to be adjusted. I adjusted the idle air bleed until I get 30-35 degrees dwell at idle in closed loop. However the exhaust note is still a little uneven. The motor is a fresh rebuild so it is not a mechanical issue, it is carb tuning. Just because I have my dwell set correctly does not necessarily mean my idle screws are perfect, does it? It seems I had to back the idle air bleed out a ways further than the 305 caprice had it adjusted to get the dwell at 30 degrees. Should I try adjusting the idle screws in small increments and then readjusting the idle air bleed? Are the idle air bleed and mixture screws doing EXACTLY the same thing or are they on overlapping circuits but I will get slightly different results using each independently as adjustment points?