Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

Non CC quadrajet?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 05:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Non CC quadrajet?

I have an 87 Camaro with a 305/ 700R4 that I'm working on. It came with an Edelbrock carburetor rigged up to the stock intake, and naturally the TV cable is messed up. It's going to take a while for the geometry kit to get here, so in the meantime could I just throw on an older quadrajet and call it a day? I don't have the original carb to compare it to. But the quad that I have is off of a 79 Camaro. Will my TV cable bolt up to this and work pretty close to stock?
Old 04-30-2008, 10:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Non CC quadrajet?

Earlier QJets (like that 79 model) have a KICKDOWN CABLE STUD, not a TV cable stud. Now, the stud itself is physically the same (you can attach the end of the TV cable to it) but the geometry is different- the stud is in a different position relative to the throttle shaft. So, it will hook up, but it probably won't operate the TV cable properly, which can result in transmission damage. Although, probably no worse than your current Eddy carb, from what you've posted!!

I've done a couple earlier QJets where I swapped in a throttle shaft/arm from a late model cc-QJet into an earlier model non-CC QJet specifically to address this issue. But that may be more than you want to tackle at this point.

Given the rather grim choices you're left with at this point, I'd either commit to going QJet long term (address the TV cable stud issue) or leave it alone for a few days until you get the right linkage for your Eddy carb.

BTW- get rid of that Eddy-to-Qjet adapter plate you're certainly using and put an aftermarket intake on it, please, when you have the money. Adapting ANYTHING onto a factory 4-hole Qjet intake is only making things worse, performance-wise. A cheap 'swap meet' Edlebrock Performer intake would work WAY better than a factory manifold with an adapter on top.