Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

New Q-jet won't idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Posi
New Q-jet won't idle

Hello,

I bought a new SMI non-CC Q-jet and got it last week.

At first I had some vacuum leak issues with it, so I bought a new base gasket and replaced the gasket in my square-bore to spread-bore adapter on my intake to be sure.

Now I've bolted it on and it will not idle. It doesn't seem to be a vacuum leak issue, it's like something with the primary jets and idle circuit is not working/clogged. The fuel bowl fills up and when the accelerator pump being pumped, the car runs. But if you hold the pedal in, it dies after the pump shot is burned...quickly, as if the car were turned off.

I'm not yet a carb guru, but it seems like whatever feeds the accelerator pump is getting fuel, but whatever feeds the primary jets and idle circuit is not.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-18-2009, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: New Q-jet won't idle

it could be a few things. first off is there a fuel filter? if no then there may be crap in there. so far as vaccum leaks I would check every line 100%. I had this issue then the motor blew up ( 84 305ho with all accessories). when we pulled old motor decided to go non cc so replace both carb and HEI ( replace both these, not just one or your milage may suck big time ). while pulling ac, air pump and all that junk I found SEVERAL vaccum leaks I wasnt aware of, like 1 under the ac unit and another going to the cruise controll( thats almost under the car) and another that I KNEW was good, but turns out looks are deceptive. lol. dont assume they are good. twist them around a litttle bit. better still, vacuum line is cheap so why not just start replacing them now if you plan on keeping the car stock? wont take all that much time.