Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

I've seen tips on ramping up quadrajet performance...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've seen tips on ramping up quadrajet performance...

but how about gas mileage? I'm not looking to make an 11 second run (or even drag)m just not my thing. I want to have a stock or at least close to stock car that can obviously deliver performance, but also be used efficiently... (I'm that guy ). What can I do to maximize the gas mileage out of a rebuilt Quadrajet (I believe from 82-84, can't verify right now though).
Old 10-29-2009, 09:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: I've seen tips on ramping up quadrajet performance...

If it's a computer controlled QJet there isn't much you want to touch on the primary side. For better performance you can tune on the secondary side to your heart's content (regardless of whether it's computer controlled or not). Secondaries don't come into play until you're beyond about half throttle and the computer doesn't have any control over the secondary side anyway.

Most QJets are calibrated very lean from the factory, especially in the idle circuits and primary jets/rods. This means there's usually little to do to them for better mileage besides make sure everything is clean and in good working order. Usually they're so borderline lean that they step over the line into "too lean" when performance modifications are made to the engine (better cam, heads, intake, etc.)
Old 10-29-2009, 09:58 PM

Alright, that's good to know (obviously, I'm no carb genius, in fact I'm very much a newb, I like to learn every day). Thanks very much for the help!
Old 10-30-2009, 03:44 AM

Wouldn't altering the accelerator pump lever/linkage to give a smaller squirt help economy?