Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

a black plug, a white plug, a wet plug

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 08:46 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a black plug, a white plug, a wet plug

I havent posted hear in a long long time, mostly bc my car has been sitting(long story about growing up and starting a life that im sure you dont care about). so anyway, i finally got it all put back together and the engine just freshened up bc of a cracked block bc someone was nice enough to put it outside in freezing temps with no antifreeze.

so basically i know its been a while since ive driven it so i dont have a lot to compare to but it misses pretty bad between 1000-3000 rpm, and seems to clear out the more i get into the throttle. if i push the gas too hard off of idle i have been getting a lot of back firing also that i know i never had before. it has MSD 6AL, new plugs with the old wires on it(barely used altho a few years old), the cap and rotor appear to be clean of corrosion and are barely used. the timing is at 38 degrees total.
background on the car:
AFR 195 heads
600 lift cam(i dont remember all the duration and crap but it was ordered through comp with the solid lifter set and valve springs to go along with it.
9:1 compression
750 demon carb with weiand team g intake

no to the spark plugs. i know they are new bc i put them in with the new engine, so i decided to look them over since i have driven the car for a few hours. so i pulled three random plugs #1 was black, like a rich running car, #5 was white, like im lean. and #2 was wet with fuel. im assuming i have some sort of spark problem. any ideas one what you would look at?

im thinking the backfiring off idle might be a carb issue since i has been sitting for 4 or 5 years. maybe accel pump? and the misssing more of a spark issue.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:09 PM

Car: 1992 firebird
Engine: SBC 350
Transmission: TH350
Re: a black plug, a white plug, a wet plug

where the 3 plugs all on the same bank? and did it sit with fuel in the carb? Any fuel stabilizer in it?
Old 03-23-2011, 02:54 PM
Supreme Member

Re: a black plug, a white plug, a wet plug

it was numbers 1, 2, and 5 on the plugs. there was no stabilizer in it while it sat, but it never really sat for a long time without running hear and there just to start it up. my uncle knows a good bit about carbs, i think im gonna let him go for a ride with me next week some time.