Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

Slight hot idle rpm fluctuation [VIDEO]

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 10:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1985 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
Engine: 305 LG4
Transmission: 700R4 Automagic
Axle/Gears: No clue
Slight hot idle rpm fluctuation [VIDEO]

So I just rebuilt my quadrajet using cliff's HP kit, and while it seemed to improve my throttle response and all around performance (I can actually squeak the tires from a dead stop and no more bogging!), I've developed an idle fluctuation when warmed up:

I also installed a brand new TPS and MCS as well.

The only other thing I changed were my spark plugs since they had fouled up pretty bad due to the carb running fairly rich before and also some oil leakage (replaced with NGK V-Power plugs)

What would be the most likely cause of this idle fluctuation? My carb didn't have it before I rebuilt it.

The only other thing that is odd about my quadrajet is my airhorn doesn't have a rich stop screw (as in there isn't even a hole there where it should go). My carb number is 17085204, which according to my resources SHOULD have the rich stop screw, so I'm thinking the carb is kind of a mish-mash from the PO. I still tried to set things the way they should be, but I don't have a dwell meter to exactly dial in my air bleed valve, so I just set it about 3 turns out (or about 1.7 inches from top to bottomed out plunger).

As always, I appreciate any input!
Old 01-18-2017, 07:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1985 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
Engine: 305 LG4
Transmission: 700R4 Automagic
Axle/Gears: No clue
Re: Slight hot idle rpm fluctuation [VIDEO]

It also sounds like a slight backfire through the exhaust (like a low thumping noise).

Could an exhaust leak cause these symptoms?