Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

vats with a carb.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vats with a carb.

Do i need to disable vats in my 91 firebird if i install a carb?
Old 02-27-2017, 12:02 AM
COTM Editor

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,272 Posts
Car: '89 Firebird
Engine: 7.0L
Transmission: T56
Re: vats with a carb.

Yes, you will need to bypass VATS. Reason why is because the engine controller gives the PASSkey module permission to enable the start relay, but you won't be using the engine controller any more so the start relay is not going to operate.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/ltx-...ml#post5963351

The solution is quite simple. All you do is wire around the system. There are two methods you can choose from,

1. Let the key switch operate the start relay. In this method you jump terminals A3 and B1 at electrical connector to the PASSkey module. You can leave the connector disconnected or plug it back into the module, doesn't matter either way. The start relay still will be used but will be operated directly by the key switch.

2. Eliminate the start relay. In this method you unplug the start relay and jump the larger (12 gauge) wires at the start relay. The wire colors are the larger Yellow wire (not the smaller one), and the Green wire with Black stripe. Just toss the start relay because you won't need it any more.

Keep in mind that the starter will engage any time the key switch is in the crank position so don't do anything stupid with the engine moving or you'll mill the gear.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: vats with a carb.

Thank you. I plan on doing the wiring while the motor is out.