Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

Fuel return line issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 05:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 6.2L pontiac firebird
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 373
Fuel return line issue

I recently did a engine swap from a tpi to a carbureted 383 stroker with 500hp. The problem im having is i cant adjust fuel pressure. I have a return style regulator but as soon as i start the car the psi goes to max on output for my regulator whitch is 9psi i had another regulator on it and it went to 15+ psi couldnt adjust that one either. I tried disconnecting fuel line where it connects to the fuel return hard line were i connected 6an fuel return line to and i was able to adjust the pressure to 6psi. So im thinking my return line is too small or theres a blockage somewhere. Does anyone have any ides? Does anyone know how to run a new return line to the tank without dropping the tank? Any ideas would be helpful.im thinking therrs too much pressure in the return line that is giving me too much psi.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 511 Likes on 428 Posts
Car: 84 TA orig. 305 LG4 "H" E4ME
Engine: 334 SBC - stroked 305 M4ME Q-Jet
Transmission: upgraded 700R4 3200 stall
Axle/Gears: 10bolt 4.10 Posi w Lakewood TA Bars
Re: Fuel return line issue

There is a work-around.
This is a little different than what you have, but you should get the idea.
I cannot guarantee that this will work for you if you are using an electric FP in the tank.
Attached Thumbnails Fuel return line issue-fuelpumpcircuit01a.jpg