Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

Rochester 4bbl to Edelbrock Swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Firebird Trans Am
Transmission: 700R4
Rochester 4bbl to Edelbrock Swap

As you can tell from what I say below I am pretty new to all of this. I'm learning as I go. I have an 87 trans am 305. My Rochester Carb is leaking and metal inside is warped slightly. I know a lot of people say I should never get rid of my Rochester but I also am doing this to learn about cars and would love to perform a carb swap. I ordered a bunch of parts but I need help knowing if I missed anything.

Here is my order list.

Edelbrock 1406 Performer 600 CFM Square Bore 4-Barrel Air Valve Secondary Electric Choke Carburetor

Earl's Performance 761066ERL Vapor Guard Carburetor Hose 3/8 in. ID 10 ft. Pre-Cut Vapor Guard Carburetor Hose

Edelbrock 4405 Signature Series Push-On Round Valve Cover Breather

Spectre Performance 4708 Throttle Return Spring Bracket

Mr. Gasket 19 Throttle Return Spring Kit

Edelbrock/Russell 641030 Fuel Pump to Carburetor Line Kit

Edelbrock 8008 Carburetor Stud Kit

Edelbrock 8134 Chrome Fuel Line

Edelbrock 2696 Four-Hole Square-Bore to Spread-Bore Carburetor Adapter

What else do I need to make a proper swap and have it running efficiently? I know I need to get a vacuum advance distributor, and I heard something about a torque converter kit but I wasn't sure about that. Any info would be great about what I need to get also and what I should expect and if I accidentally ordered something I don't need. Thanks
Old 11-14-2017, 03:12 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: Rochester 4bbl to Edelbrock Swap

When you bolt that adapter onto your stock intake manifold, then bolt on your carb and your air cleaner, you'll find out the hood won't close. Things are already close without an adapter.

Get a rebuilt Q-jet for a late 70's, non-computer controlled Chevy car, not truck, car, and a vacuum advance HEI distributor. Everything will bolt right up, you won't have to worry about vacuum lines or throttle cables, or adapters. Granted it won't be a polished Eldlerbacher controlled vacuum leak, but it'll work.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:14 AM
On Probation

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 84 Z-28
Engine: 305 HO
Transmission: r-700
Axle/Gears: 3:73

Cam, you say u want to learn.
Why not just pull the Roc. carb and spend $20 bucks for a rebuild kit
and rebuild it yourself?

You say the carb is warped/bent?
Just disassemble it on the bench and get out your straight edge!
Used Q-jet parts are cheap and easy to find!

IMO a Q-jet is miles ahead STILL today than a knockoff newcomer.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:46 AM
Supreme Member

Received 189 Likes on 149 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am L69
Engine: Sniper EFI Powered 355
Transmission: WC T5 w/ Steel Support Plate
Axle/Gears: 3.42 10 Bolt Posi

Originally Posted by Cameron Abeel
What else do I need to make a proper swap and have it running efficiently? I know I need to get a vacuum advance distributor, and I heard something about a torque converter kit but I wasn't sure about that. Any info would be great about what I need to get also and what I should expect and if I accidentally ordered something I don't need. Thanks
A new Q Jet and the stock components. Although you can always make it run worse, get lower MPG and make less HP with an edelbrock if you want.