Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

How to fine tune a Holley 750 Vac Sec.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2001, 08:57 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Z/28, 2001 Z/28
Engine: 355 Built a bit / LS1
Transmission: T-5 / A4
Axle/Gears: 4.10 / 2/73's
How to fine tune a Holley 750 Vac Sec.

Greetings.. as i have not posted much before, and am a novice at much of the engine stuff I do not have much knowledge in the area of tuning carbs. I know my Carb is running either rich or lean, but i have no idea how to tune it out to be good. I smell alot of fuel, and when starting i get horrible black fuel exiting the exhaust. (i assume its fuel) Not much smoke, except when I nail it my friends say. The Engine is as follows, 400sm block chevy .030 over nothing too special, weiand intake world product heads.. all ported and polished out. carb is a holley 750 vac secondaries carb. any help, hints, or directions to do research in would be greatly appreciated.

thanks alot guys

-Steve

'92 Camaro rs/ss
406cu in frankencamaro

------------------
92 Chevy Camaro RS/SS MOD
88 Mustang GT Convertable
97 Chevy Cavalier SS
Old 01-03-2001, 07:34 AM

Car: 2002 SOM z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T-56
Sounds like you have the same carb as I do and we are in similar situations. From what I now know, you might have #72 pirmary jets, which should be fine for your size engine. I switched to #70 (one size smaller) for my 350. I assume your idle speed is good? I want mine around 1000, but that is not really the topic I guess.

The two main adjustments you can make are to the two little screws on the sides of the primary (front) side of the carb. Everyone tells me to screw them in (lightly) all the way, then back out 1 1/2 turns and finally back in alternating 1/4 turns (one side then the other) until you get the highest vacuum signal. But I also think this proceedure has the most influence on idle speed/quality.

The other adjustment that you will probably need to do is to adjust your float level. With the car level, remove the sight plug (screw on passanger side about midway up the side of the fuel bowl). When you rock the car, gas should just barely trickle out of these. If not, then using the hex nut and lock screw on top, either raise or lower the float until gas does. Too low, that will make it lean... too high (gas pours out), then you will make it rich. Do this for both front (primaries) and rear (secondary) bowls.

------------------
1984 z28 w/ a 357 cu in. monster engine which is looking like the posterchild for Edelbrock with the exception of the Holley 750vac... all the suspension stuff... 9-bolt posi disk is in...

-=ICON Motorsports=-
Old 01-03-2001, 07:25 PM
Supreme Member

To get any kind of accurate fine tuning..you absolutly must get an Air/Fuel ratio guage. They're only about $30 from Jegs or Summit.

------------------
"American made baby. 100% American iron. The muscle among the masses. My hero. Yep, you can take your ergonomically designed, space age, computer controlled, 4 door, cup holding map lighted split double wishbone split fold down retractable cargo covered moon roof piece of transportation and keep it. For I have felt the thunder. And I know the difference!"
JSP Motorsports
ICON Motorsports
Old 01-04-2001, 07:08 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1992 Z/28, 2001 Z/28
Engine: 355 Built a bit / LS1
Transmission: T-5 / A4
Axle/Gears: 4.10 / 2/73's
Originally posted by Biochem:
Sounds like you have the same carb as I do and we are in similar situations. From what I now know, you might have #72 pirmary jets, which should be fine for your size engine. I switched to #70 (one size smaller) for my 350. I assume your idle speed is good? I want mine around 1000, but that is not really the topic I guess.

The two main adjustments you can make are to the two little screws on the sides of the primary (front) side of the carb. Everyone tells me to screw them in (lightly) all the way, then back out 1 1/2 turns and finally back in alternating 1/4 turns (one side then the other) until you get the highest vacuum signal. But I also think this proceedure has the most influence on idle speed/quality.

The other adjustment that you will probably need to do is to adjust your float level. With the car level, remove the sight plug (screw on passanger side about midway up the side of the fuel bowl). When you rock the car, gas should just barely trickle out of these. If not, then using the hex nut and lock screw on top, either raise or lower the float until gas does. Too low, that will make it lean... too high (gas pours out), then you will make it rich. Do this for both front (primaries) and rear (secondary) bowls.

Thanks for your help.. Unfortunately i tried tuning it as you stated.. I could not seem to get it to work enough to keep gas from flowing out of the bowls when i shook the car. no matter how low i tightened the screw or not it still would pour out. I dunno..Im thinkin im gonna have to have it professionally tuned out.. maybe even dyno tuned.

thanks though for your help.. i can say i at least tried!!

-Steve

'92 rs/ss frankencamaro