Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

I'm new to carbs, need help with a reoccuring problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2001, 09:15 AM
ede
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm new to carbs, need help with a reoccuring problem

i have a holley VS carb that i got used. it's worked fine for the other guy for several years. i got it and the floats stick, gas comes out the vents. i've had it on 2 differant SBCs, had it rebuilt by professionals each time and it keeps doing this. there doesn't seem to be any indication it's going to happen until it does. any ideas what may be causeing the floats to stick, or the needle valves? thanks

------------------
ICON Motorsports

1st & 3rd
MM Black Diamond Lodge 538 F&AM
Old 04-08-2001, 10:52 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. Your fuel pressure is too high. Side hung floats can only take like 4 psi. Center hung floats can take about 6-8.

2. Dirt in the lines keeps chewing up the needle and seat...put a fuel filter right before the carb. This happpened to me alot when I just had the stock inline filter...I had to add a second.

3. Something physical..like the floats are catching on something. Check operation and see...clean everything in there off real good while you're at it.

------------------
"American made baby. 100% American iron. The muscle among the masses. My hero. Yep, you can take your ergonomically designed, space age, computer controlled, 4 door, cup holding map lighted split double wishbone split fold down retractable cargo covered moon roof piece of transportation and keep it. For I have felt the thunder. And I know the difference!"
JSP Motorsports
ICON Motorsports
Old 04-08-2001, 11:42 AM
Supreme Member

Oh yeah..are the floats brass or plastic? if they are plastic...get brass ones. The plastics one are notorious for absorbing somehting from the gas, getting heavier, and causing problems.

------------------
"American made baby. 100% American iron. The muscle among the masses. My hero. Yep, you can take your ergonomically designed, space age, computer controlled, 4 door, cup holding map lighted split double wishbone split fold down retractable cargo covered moon roof piece of transportation and keep it. For I have felt the thunder. And I know the difference!"
JSP Motorsports
ICON Motorsports
Old 04-08-2001, 02:05 PM
ede
TGO Supporter

i think the floats are plastic, has in line filter, FP is around 5 on one car ,unknown on other. it's done this 4 or 5 times now.

------------------
ICON Motorsports

1st & 3rd
MM Black Diamond Lodge 538 F&AM
Old 04-08-2001, 02:20 PM
Supreme Member

I'd say replace the floats..I had the same problem and it took me forever to track it down to the floats.

Either that or it just doesn't like you. Can't say I blame it.

------------------
JSP Motorsports
ICON Motorsports
Old 04-08-2001, 03:18 PM

Car: 2002 SOM z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T-56
Definately sounds like a float problem... or too high FP. I think Jester hit on it...

------------------
1984 z28 w/ a 357 cu in. monster engine which is looking like the posterchild for Edelbrock with the exception of the Holley 750vac... all the suspension stuff... 9-bolt posi disk is in...

-=ICON Motorsports=-
Old 04-08-2001, 03:55 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 82 camaro SC
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
Replace the needle and seat, Some places don't replace them when they do a rebuild. Once a float gets 'soaked' it will remain soaked and won't float again. I doubt it's that because it only does it sometimes--a soaked float will flood all the time. Side hung floats will handle any stock mechanical pump. I'm guessing the needle and seat is sticking.
Make sure the float moves freely, and replace the needle and seat. Set the float level so that it's just under the sight plug. Always run a fuel filter right before the carb. If it doesn't have it already, get some buna-n gaskets--they don't stick and are reusable. Chances are you will have it apart again.

------------------
82 camaro--original steering wheel, brake/gas pedals, seats--everything else modified
82camaro

[This message has been edited by 82camaro (edited April 08, 2001).]