Convertibles Discussed here are problems and solutions to convertible specific questions, including difficult to find part numbers and other convertible tech help.

5 inch spoiler?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 5.slow
5 inch spoiler?

i really want to put a 5 inch spoiler on the vert. will the center section mount on the trunk lid? if it does then i can just use fiberglass to mold the end caps to match the 5 inch spoiler right???? i e-mailed bruce about working this out but haven't gotten a reply yet. any ideas?
Old 03-26-2004, 07:14 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1987 Z28 Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 5-speed
Re: 5 inch spoiler?

I am currently in the process of installing the 5-incher on my '87 coupe (with third brake light).

i really want to put a 5 inch spoiler on the vert. will the center section mount on the trunk lid?

Yes, with two modifications. The 5-inch spoiler, as well as stock three piece spoilers without the brake light uses six studs spaced equally across it. On the three-piece third brake light spoiler, the two center studs are spaced further apart. Bruce suggested to me to leave the spoiler intact and to drill two additional holes in the deck lid. I did not like this idea because the decklid structural support (underside) is double-thick at those locations with airspace between the sheetmetal. If you want to do this, you'll have to drill about 1-inch diameter holes in the support member to make sufficient room to nut the stud. In my case, I did not do this because I had to cut an access slot in the bottom of the 5-incher to install a third brake light within (more below), so it was easy to hack the two unneeded studs and install two in the proper location.

The other problem is you'll have to make some sort of provision for the third brake light. On 1986 and newer cars, this is the law. On a convertible, the only feasible location I can think of would be in the spoiler itself, especially with such a high piece. The good news is that with a lot of patience and ingenuity (I'm pretty good at fabbing stuff), a third brake light can be installed. The stock piece is not a candidate for this as the lens surface is slightly contoured (curved) and the back surface of the 5-incher is not nearly as curved. It just won't fit right. I am using a 48-LED light bar.

if it does then i can just use fiberglass to mold the end caps to match the 5 inch spoiler right????

I suppose you could but I have no experience with fiberglass so I'm not qualified to answer this question.

----------
My spoiler install should be finished this weekend while my family is in California. The bad news is they took the digital camera so I won't be able to snap any shots during the fabbing/install.... I did post a couple of pics of the third brake light install progress here:

https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...hreadid=225336

I'll be posting pics of the completed install after I get my camera back.

Last edited by Willie; 03-26-2004 at 07:16 AM.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:49 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone got a 5 inch spoiler on a camaro vert? Or is anyone working on it? I'm wondering if it would look ok.