Convertibles Discussed here are problems and solutions to convertible specific questions, including difficult to find part numbers and other convertible tech help.

Wiring scematics for the tonneau release switch

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 01:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '88 IROC Convertible
Engine: ZZ4 TPI
Transmission: 5 spd.
Wiring scematics for the tonneau release switch

Anybody know how the tonneau release is wired?
I'm trying to figure out how the safety interlock (which won't let you raise the tonneau with the car in motion) is wired.
Thanks if you can help.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:24 PM

Car: 1988 IROC-Z Convertible
Engine: 305 LB9
Transmission: MK6 5-speed
Axle/Gears: G80, G92, GM3
The convertables used the hatch release wiring/circuit for the tonneau. The schematic is attached. Basically if you have a manual transmission the parking brake needs to be set or if you have an automatic it needs to be in park or neutral.

Hope this helps,

Chuck
Attached Thumbnails Wiring scematics for the tonneau release switch-hatch-release.jpg  
Old 06-12-2006, 08:40 PM

Car: '88 IROC Convertible
Engine: ZZ4 TPI
Transmission: 5 spd.
Thanks Chuck, very much appreciated.
I swapped out my slushbox for a 5 speed, right now I can open the tonneau any time I want and I was just a little worried bout accidentally hitting the release switch at speed!
Old 06-27-2006, 02:47 PM

Car: Various.......
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: Auto
My daughter has a '91 convertible and we spent a long time figuring out what was wrong that the electronic tonneau release wouldn't work. Finally figured out that the safety switch that senses the trunk lid is closed had been dismounted (but was still connected) and dropped down behind the rear trim panel in the trunk. Because of this, the system thought the trunk was open at all times and the switch wouldn't work.

I worked with that stupid switch for a long time but couldn't figure out how in the heck it mounts. There didn't seem to be any way to mount it, even though I could easily match the mouting holes in the bracket with others on the trunk latch assembly. Problem was, when it mounted there, nothing could touch the switch to depress it. *(^@#@!

If anyone happens to have a photo of that switch properly mounted and can post it, that would be cool.

I finally jumpered across the trunk safety switch so the trunk appears to be closed all the time, and told her never to release the tonneau cover when the trunk was unlatched. So far, so good.

Last edited by pilgrim; 06-27-2006 at 02:52 PM.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:05 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '89 GTA Convertible
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3:27
Originally Posted by pilgrim
If anyone happens to have a photo of that switch properly mounted and can post it, that would be cool.
Argh mate.... these things are just not documented by ASC, although the top manual posted in another section has been helpful.

I've had my rear cover off quite a few times getting the trunk release to work, finally purchased a rebuilt one from Lon at Top Down... smartest money I spent.

I have a '90 RS, and the mechanism that Lon sent me did seem to have another switch on it come to think of it. I will try to get mine apart before leaving for a week out of town Sunday. If you can, take a picture of the switch, I'll compare it.

You can PM me to get my attention.

Gerry-