Convertibles Discussed here are problems and solutions to convertible specific questions, including difficult to find part numbers and other convertible tech help.

convertible interior interchange

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
convertible interior interchange

Hi all. I just picked up an '89 IROC convertible with a trashed interior. I have a line on an '86 IROC hardtop parts car with a decent interior and was wondering which parts interchange with the convert. Obviously the dash pad, seats, console and probably door panels and rear seat buns. Not sure about the upper rear seat and anything else. Can anyone help?

Thanks!!!

PS- this parts car has rear hatch louvers. anyone know what the going rate on those are? wondering how much of my money i can recoup in parts. anything else worth decent money on the car?

Thanks again!!
Old 03-14-2018, 12:14 AM
Supreme Member

Received 316 Likes on 259 Posts
Car: 89RS vert
Engine: Erod
Transmission: 4L65e
Axle/Gears: BW, 3.27
Re: convertible interior interchange

No expert, but ive been doing "research" on this myself lately.Rear seat back looks the same.Carpet too, but the rear section has a strip in the center to prevent wear from the top frame striker.
Rr seat arm rest and the trim piece going up the door jamb are different.Somewhat HTF, sometimes pricey.Then there's the trunk plastic on the sides, but with careful trimming those look like you could mod the coupe pieces to fit the vert
Old 03-17-2018, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the response, 84 1LE. much appreciated!!
Old 03-17-2018, 06:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s

Originally Posted by 84 1LE
No expert, but ive been doing "research" on this myself lately.Rear seat back looks the same.Carpet too, but the rear section has a strip in the center to prevent wear from the top frame striker.
Rr seat arm rest and the trim piece going up the door jamb are different.Somewhat HTF, sometimes pricey.Then there's the trunk plastic on the sides, but with careful trimming those look like you could mod the coupe pieces to fit the vert
My convertible had the original drab grey interior. I swapped it out almost exclusively with parts from my "old" T-top car. The only parts that really are convertible specific are B pillar covers/arm rests, the A-pillar covers and top windshield trim piece between the A pillars. Dash, dash pad, center console, all the kick panels, door sill guards, door panels, arm rests, carpet, interior trim piece for the rear of the door, front and rear seats are all interchangeable. The piece that goes at the back of the door jamb can be cut down from an existing hard top or Ttop car.

The convertibles basically looked like a boat interior. Everything was either bare plastic or covered in all-weather vinyl. Long as you don't plan on leaving it out in the rain standard stuff (long as it's UV resistant fabric) like seats, carpet covered pieces and standard door panels will be fine.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:21 PM
Supreme Member

You ever compare the trunk plastics (spare tire/rear compartment) to the coupe counterparts?
Old 03-17-2018, 07:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s

I used the trunk plastics from my T top for the trunk of my convertible also. You just have to trim to fit.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:05 AM
Supreme Member