Convertibles Discussed here are problems and solutions to convertible specific questions, including difficult to find part numbers and other convertible tech help.

How to ....

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 03:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How to ....

Okay, please be nice! This is my first third gen and first convertible car and here it goes: How do you open the top?!! it is a 1992 RS which I thought is factory manual but it seems it was auto which was converted to manual transmission, very professionally I have to say. I know I should have asked the guy who I bought it from but it even didn't occur to me! That was not smart!
Anyways, there is no owner's manual in this car, it has a new top on it and I don't want to try to mess with it unless I have no other choice. Are they electric or manual? If electric, where is the button/controller? I see some levers above the windshield. Also, is there a storage compartment on the back that the top get stored? I tried to find some videos online but didn't get anywhere. Does the trunk has to be open for the top to be opened?
Thanks for the help.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:07 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: How to ....

Leave the trunk closed or your fudge it up. On the drivers side, behind the front seat, under the edge of the top you'll find a sliding release to release the back of the top. Lift the back of the top up, and then hit the release button on the console to pop the tonneau cover. It's not unusual that you might have to push down on the tonneau cover while you push the release, or if the solenoids don't release the cover electrically, you might have to fold down the rear seat backs and look for the manual release cables. Anyway, open the tonneau fully, then move the latches by the sunvisors (down and turn 90* to the rear) and then the top folds into the space under the tonneau. Swing the levers 90* back and fold them back down, and then push the tonneau closed over the top.

Going back up is the same, just reverse... Pop the tonneau, open the latches, pull the top up and latch in front, lift the back of the top, close the tonneau, bring the back of the top down carefully until it latches in back.

Do not open the trunk lid while the tonneau cover is open, or they'll hit each other.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you. It sounds a little complicated but I guess if I do it few times it gets easier.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1991 Trans Am convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Auto

1) Unhook the latches from the front of the top located above the visors.

2) Pop the rear of the top with the latch located above the rear speaker on the drivers' side.

3) Lift the back of the top up and hit the electric toneau release switch which should "click" kinda like a door lock and enable you to lift the toneau cover.

4) With the toneau cover fully open, pick the front of the top up and slowly fold the top down into its compartment. You may have to manually lift the #2 bow as you are folding the top since the pieces that fold that bow upwards in order for the top to open are usually broken. You can get new ones from Top Down Solutions if it really bugs you.

5) DO NOT FORCE ANYTHING! If it doesn't fold right, back up, regroup and see if you're doing something wrong. (Ask me how I know ...)