Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

How to incorporate a fan turn on switch??

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to incorporate a fan turn on switch??

Hey people, I've checked the tech article about the Fan Mod for third gen Z28s and its a little confusing-- i'll tell you what I want and hopefully someone has done it, or can help me with some advice. I have taken my fog lights out to have more air flow for my ram air kit(courtesy of this site) so I want to use the fog light switch to turn the fans on/off. I have a 180* thermostat and it seems to work great. The only time my car gets hot is when I’m in stop/go traffic. I want to be able to flick my fog light switch on and have it turn both fans on to cool the engine. How is this accomplished-- any “quick fixes” ? has anyone done this before? Please help before my engine melts

Old 02-18-2003, 10:39 PM

mine was doing that also, i bought a new radiator cap (helped alot) , a 160 degree thermostat, and this kept it running about 165 degree until i got into the stop and go traffic, then it would rise to about 220 , i finally bought a new radiator the other day, and now my car runs about 140 degree on the highway, and about 165 degree in traffic.. so i ended up not even having to wire a fan turn - on switch.

Last edited by kristopheer; 02-18-2003 at 10:41 PM.
Old 02-19-2003, 01:03 AM

Mine does the same thing. Really cool on the highway but when it gets to stop and go; car gets to around 220+. Then the fans kick in and bring the temp back down to fewer than 200, and then fans go off. Then this whole process repeats. I'm interested in knowing what would be the easiest way to make the fans on all the time. I was just thinking of buying a 160 degree thermostat, would that have the fans on all the time? Or could I just cross a wire from each fan relay? Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old 02-19-2003, 07:51 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: "02 z-28
Engine: LS-1
Transmission: 4L60E
It can be done fairly easily. Find the fog light relay, it's usually located on the driver side mounted on the inner fender. It is a small square relay. If you are not sure unmount the relay hold it your hand and have someone flip the fog light sw on and off. You should feel the relay click. Next go back a few inches on the wire and cut the red/wht wire. That is the 12 volt feed to the contact side of the relay. The wire thats cut and goes towards the harness side of the car tape securely and fold it back into the plastic conduit, remember to tape it , it has 12 volts on it. That wire will no longer be used. The section of wire left that goes to the relay and socket side crimp or solder a lug and mount it to a good ground. Next look for 1 or 2 purple wires at the relay plug. Splice a wire into either wire or the one, U can use a 3M quick splice if you want to tap into the purple and run that to the gray wire on the aux fan relay and simply tap into that wire the same way. The fog light sw will now turn on the fans. Most TG's, if you turn on the aux fan first the ECM will default and turn on the primary also so only one connection to the aux relay should be required. Any more info PM me, if you want to get fancy you can also change the wiring so the bulb in the fog sw will light up when the fans are on.
Old 02-20-2003, 01:25 PM

Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: th700R4
i put in a fan switch myself but i didnt use my fog light switch. its far easier to use a seprate switch and hook it up directly.
I had a switch with two ends pos and negative.
i hooked the negative up to the body from some screw i found not really doing anything. I hooked up the positive wire to the fan switch located on the passenger side of the block. this way if my switch failed , the stock switch would still work and also if i put my a/c on the fan would still work. did a little wire routing and put the switch in my upper left hand plactic thing above the window. works great and i only have to put it on when i'm street driving or idling. air damn does the rest of the cooling on the highway. hope this helps
Old 02-22-2003, 01:34 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i just used a simply toggle switch, and when flipped grounds out the relay on the passengers side and turns the fan on..

works nice, no going over 220 any more, even though i dont consider that overheating..