Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Problem running secondary fan before primary?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem running secondary fan before primary?

I just had a thought that it would be much easier to just mess with the secondary fan rather than messing with both fans per the Total Fan Control rewire. So, primary fan comes on at ECM controlled 220*, I will leave as is, but put a 185* switch in the passenger side head for the secondary fan to come on before the primary.

But, I was just wondering if there is any problem to do this, like ECM freaking out or something... It seems to me though that the ECM doesn't even know about the secondary fan since I don't believe the secondary fan is wired in any way to the ECM.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Old 04-19-2004, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88GTAnotchbac/91 -Z/66 Chevelle
Engine: All strokers
Transmission: Pro built 700r4's
fan switches

when my stock 88 tuned port motor was being operated on my first fan would come on at 160 the first fan to come on is the primary fan, then when temps hit 220 the second fan would come on. I have several chips (4)that i have tried even a custom burned chip. All of the performance chips that were worth mentioning all came with a 160 thermostat wich I used inconjunction with the 160 degree fan trigger switch wich like you said is located on the passengers side in the middle of the bottom of the block.
The reason for the 160 degree fans switches to work at the same time is an attempt for the modifier to get the motor to run cooler in an attempt to squeese a few more ponies out with a cooler running motor which also prevents or trys to prevent detonation from racing a really hot motor.
I have tried putting my original chip back in and no trouble code came up.with the 160's on.

Cooler is better and heat is your engines worst enemy.Its bad enough these cars have no open grill to get in there face.